should i be angry or is it just the hormones?

So, I applied for a job, interviewed and got the job. Today was my first day of training.

When I interviewed I told him for one thing that I'm pregnant so I can't lift much, that I CANNOT work saturdays but I can work ANY other day, and that I wanted at least 30 hours a week. They told me it was not a problem for any of that.

So I go for my first day and they have me scheduled for only an hour and a half, that's fine..it's just training. But then they try to make me lift all this heavy stuff...and I'm like "sorry I can't, I told you that when I interviewed." Then I check my schedule. They don't have me working again until FRIDAY. and the only other day is SATURDAY. So 15 hours, not 30, trying to get me to lift stuff AND scheduled on the ONLY day I told them I could not work.

I don't know if it's just the pregnancy hormones or what but I'm soooo mad. Should I be? Should I call and ask for a schedule change?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would be mad, too. I ended up having to quit my job when I was pregnant due to them making me lift things my doctor said was too heavy. And the stress of them never listening and letting me of for my doctor appointments. If I were you I'd try talking to the person that interviewed you and remind them you can't work Saturdays and you can't lift heavy things. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• See what the next schedule says for next week and if you don't have 30 hours then i would say something. I would say something about being on for Saturday and remind them that you are not available and that you told them that on the interview. Could it be that you can work 30 hours a week or is it a part-time job cause my job is like that for the part-time employees they can get up to 28 hours and none of them do they vary between 15-25 hours a week. I think that you need to speak with someone cause if you want to be working 30 hours a week and it can very then they need to tell you that, they should have told you that in the interview. Ask them if your hours are gonna very from week to week and if so and that's not what you want then i would be looking for something different.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'd say you have every right to be angry. You took the job on the condition that you would not be working Saturdays and that you needed at least 30 hours a week. An additional dose of hormones doesn't help the situation so when you go to your superior make sure you are tactful in your response but the issues need to be addressed up front. I would not wait until you have already worked one Saturday. If you wait they may bring up that you have already worked a Saturday so what's the big deal? Be firm in what your expectations were and what you are willing to do but be professional about it at the same time.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If it's retail, you shouldn't be so surprised.

Anonymous

• http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 12:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ha! I worked at a job like that, too! Told the lady in HR who interviewed me that I had a bad back so couldn't lift over 25 lbs, and I was only available between 9am until 3pm, and I would only work up to 2 weekends per month. She said that none of that would be any problem whatsoever.
    The manager who was there when I was hired was a super nice guy and always scheduled me perfectly.
    The next manager was a real a-hole, kept messing up my schedule, but I always had him correct it. He didn't know how to produce morale amongst the employees and he was so degrading of everyone.
    A third manager came in and she refused me my 15 minute breaks because I was lead cashier and had to work my full 6-hour shift. She also screwed my schedule up terribly and I had to keep correcting her on it.
    Finally, my back became so bad with pain I could hardly stand up. I called out, the doc had it x-rayed, and she told me I had to quit work. (con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• (con't)
    Due to the long hours of standing, my already bad spine was made worse. The compression in my lumbar area was even more compressed and now I have to visit the pain specialist twice a month to help relieve my pain and workmen's comp won't pay because it was a pre-existing condition even though the long standing made it worse so that my doc made me stop working.
    {sigh}

Be firm with your employer. When you see mistakes on your schedule, have them corrected immediately in a nice but firm manner. Submit the requests you made upon hire to HR and the manager or schedule maker - keep the original for yourself and make sure it is dated.
    I wish you the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009