My friend tried to commit suicide two days ago. What can I do to help her???

I am worried about her kids (she threatened to kill them, herself and her husband). The hospital is already going to release her (today). I am worried about what is next. Her husband is going to stay home from work until he thinks things are back to normal. Problem is, I don't think there is an easy answer here - there is no going back once this happens - this is a huge problem that requires alot of attention. I don't know how serious he believes this is. She has been asking for help from him for a long time and he is very passive about things. I don't know if this was really an effective wake up call or not. My friend has always been a bit on the dramatic side and I hope her husband doesn't just see this as a way to get some attention. What would you do if this was your friend and you were worried????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

• Take her to a doctor- she needs antidepresents-meds. She may need councling- just check on her and be there to talk to her-say positive things. She needs medical help.
    Anonymous

• Oh wow that's scary. Well suicide is NOT a funny matter...and it is not something to be taken lightly...especially if she is threatening to kill her children as well. This kind of stuff happens! She needs to be put in intensive counseling. There is a problem here that she may not have the courage to talk about, or doesn't know how to get her feelings across. I don't think taking time off work until things seem "normal" again is going to do a bit of good. She needs needs needs therapy! I would also not leave her home alone with the kids. Maybe you could speak to her family and maybe set up an intervention for some kind of help? In the meantime, be around as often as you can and make sure the little ones are safe. The husband needs to realize the severity of this problem as well so maybe you could try talking to him yourself since apparently he doesn't care to listen to your friend.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I mean theres nothing you can do really, just be there for her and be positive.. and show her a positive attitude, she needs to help her self.. Dont feel bad for her.. Just be there for her. I knew someone who did it by accident they drank so much and then took a xanax and then almost stoped breathing. but i was soo glad i was there.. if not they would have died. so now my friend knows they have a problem and they are on meds and speak with a counciler atleast once a month.. so hope for the best.. good luck!!
    NewMomToBe84

Answer by NewMomToBe84 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009