When I give my 10 month old diced fruit or chopped vegetables they come out looking the same as when they went in! Is she getting any nutrition out of them?

It has happened with corn, green beans, peas, beans, and some fruits.

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i woulnt worry too much. until they are a year old they are supposed to get almost all of their nurtients from formula. finger food is more for getting them used to food before it is required for nutrition. if you are worried they arent getting enough formula anymore than give them a baby vitamin supplement.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Huh. I wouldn't think so. There would have to be some dissolving of the food. I know of corn being this way. Mash up the other stuff, maybe. Her stomach acid should be dissolving some of it. Chewing breaks it down and starts the digestion process by adding saliva. But since you are observing pieces still, then the beans, peas, fruits- try mashing them up for a while, or chopping in very small bits.

Answer by Bmat at 2:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It's common. Her digestive system will get better at it. In the meantime, remember that the main point of foods at this point is to get her used to different tastes and textures.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• This happens to my 10 month-old son too! Good question :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• yeah i agree that the main source of nutrition at this time is formula and food is just for getting used to textures. so ur concern should be is ur baby learning to chew these foods or just swallowing them cuz that could pose a choking hazard if u move on to somethign bigger that really needs chewing
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009