Is it ok to give a 2month old a bath every night?

or will it dry out his skin? Its the only way that has worked with getting him to sleep through the night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've always given my dd a bath every night, she is 19 months old. Just use lotion after and give him a massage! it calms them down even more
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I was told in the hospital it would dry out the babys skin- no to bath every night- they said 3 times a week. Try rocking him- buy a sound machine- pat him gently on the back, do not lay on tummy, try moving the crib in a rocking motion alittle bit. Bathing wont work when he is older so try diffrent things now.
    Anonymous

• anon idk what you're talking about but my kids are 7 and 9 and getting a bath to this day helps them get to sleep! it relaxes them.. just as a bath relaxes anyone!
    Anonymous

• Overbathing does dry skin out and it really isn't necessary . Washing the baby with a warm cloth with special attention to the head and face, neck folds and diaper area is fine. As for it calming your child. How about washing her up then dim the lightsand some soft music and massage her gently with lotion. It really helps most of them relax. If you bottle feed have it ready and at hand. If that just doesn't wortk bath her, but I would start using the Aveeno baby lotion-light blue cap is hypoallergenic. It will help her skin to deal with a daily bath easier.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I always gave my 2 children baths every night they are 2 & 5 and there skin is fine, that is a bunch of bull about their skin drying out, that's why you use lotion soaps like dove and lotions on their skin to keep their skin soft and smooth. It's fine. My kids look forward to their bath's at night and it's good bonding time for me and them. Plus it helps them in a routine of going to bed right after a bath, it relaxes them before bed.
    joshbellamom

Answer by joshbellamom at 2:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i was told when they are that young every other nite...I started every night when she was about 4 months, but if you want to then go for it....i love bath time...sometimes now it might even be twice a day if she has an exciting lunch or a big explosion or we might miss a saturday nite if we're watching a movie at my moms house....do whatever you think is best...Burts Bees sells a bath oil that you can put in the water and it softens their skin, then just use lotion after =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It won't hurt him. Just put some mild lotion on him.
    I personally only bathe my baby every other day, sometimes less.
    She doesn't get dirty. I wipe her hands and her face off.
    Probably once she starts crawling and eating food she will need baths more often.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I agree with 07lilmama1108. I think she's got the right idea.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I've ALWAYS given my son a bath every night...it's part of our routine...and it helps to relax him and wind him down.
    I put a squirt of baby oil in my son's baths to help keep his skin soft and moisturized! works like a charm! you can also use lotion afterwards too!
    just if you notice his skin starting to get overly dry, you may want to reconsider a bath every night, but I'm sure he'll be okay! My son has never had a problem with getting bathed every night!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I gave my child a bath every night since we got home from the hospital (sponge baths at first). It hasn't dried out her skin at all, and we don't even use lotion because she doesn't like it (she cries when we put it on, go figure).

As long as his skin isn't sensitive or anything he should be fine. It makes for a great bath time routine.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009