to have or not to have a birthday party on the 4th of july weekend?

Hi Moms, I really need your help on this. I'm contemplating to have my daugther's b-day party on Sat. 4th of july day time/ or evening... maybe even add a lil 4of of july celebration.

some friends even ask to have a pot lock theme party and us used a little bit of time to do the cake and stuff... but will this be kind of tacky or not so personal to her.

or should i wait and have it on the 5th (sunday) afternoon.

what do you all think.

rod2005

Asked by rod2005 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• It just depends on how many people you think will go, how many people you know go out of town for 4th of July. I know my family is always together on the 4th so having a birthday party would just be a bonus plus you get live entertainment in the end of the evening. I think it's a good holiday to host a birthday party, easy decorations.
    joshbellamom

Answer by joshbellamom at 2:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• im having my daughters on the fourth of july, we are doing her party during the day serving lunch and cake and ice cream and then after that the family is coming back to the house and we are all gonna go see fireworks together, we are only inviting, family and close friends though.
    Anonymous

• Please don't do that to your daughter or your friends. My friend is getting married on the fourth this year and everyone is very annoyed by it. Our entire holiday is swallowed up by her wedding. She had 365 other days to choose and instead she chose a national holiday that ppl want to spend with their families. Its just rude to have a party on a holiday. Wait until the following weekend or have it the week before. Its wrong for your daughter because she gets cheated by having to share a fun holiday and her birthday. Its also wrong because she won't get the attention she deserves. Its also wrong because a lot of people will have other plans and won't show up. Its just wrong! Don't!!!
    Anonymous

• Holiday weekends are tough... bc many people leave town, have already made other plans etc...
    If you are very sure that your dd's friends will be attending then it may work out... then maybe turn it into a 4th of july party for family also...
    I personally would not have a b-day party on a Holiday weekend... takes away from the kids...
    (JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't do it on the fourth of July weekend. Many people will either be out of town or not in the mood to spend it at a kids party. I would make her day special with the family and set up a party for the following week. I know its tough...My b-day is July 1st.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Do a quick poll of your friends/family and see if it is convient for them. If most of your family was planning to stay in town and BBQ for the 4th... this would be a great way to celebrate a birthday! In fact my friend's birthday is on July 4th and she LOVED that she always got fireworks for her birthday and no one else did. Her mom told her that was special growing up to help with the fact that her bday was on a holiday.

If most of your friends/family will be out of town, then another weekend might be better. Don't feel bad to ask.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 8:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I am having my son's birthday party on July 4th, his birthday. I have stopped trying to please everyone in my family and plan his birthday around them and their friends. Don't plan the party around other people or just in case someone may not be able to attend, if you do this your child will never have a party because someone will always not be available. We are having a cookout with friends and a few family members and then we are going to the fireworks. This is the first time in 13 years that my son will have a party on his birthday.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I know that having birthday parties on a holiday is really tough. But if everybody was going to be coming over anyway go ahead and do it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My birthday is July 3 and I always kinda got lost in the shuffle. I would suggest not doing her party the 4th. You can still plan a kick ass 4th of July party though!
    Anonymous