How have your visible tattoos affected you in the workplace?

is it harder to get a job as a woman with tattoos? would you be less willing to hire a tattooed woman for a position? in what job settings do you feel it would not be appropriate? ie: would you trust a nurse with tattoos on her arms and hands to care for you? what are your thoughts on this?

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 2:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I went to an interview once and the guy told me that he knows a lot of people with tattoos that are crazy. I said that I know a lot of people without tattoos that are crazy. I ended up getting offered the job anyway, but I turned it down. It definately makes it harder to get some jobs, but I think that people are getting more and more accepting of tattoos as they become more mainstream. Tattoos are just for bikers and sailors anymore.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• everyone has a life outside of work, mine have caused no problems
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I actually was told to "cover up" my tattoos at a waitressing job once --- while the cooks & people that worked in the back didn't have to. I was told it was a "family establishment".... there's nothing vulgar about any of my tattoos I just didn't return to work the next day. Looking back now, I should've sued the sh*t out of 'em.... oh well.

Until recently, I only had one visible tattoo on my leg --- would show in shorts or skirts. Never had job issues with it after that & held "professional" office jobs.

Now, I have a name tattoo'd on my right wrist. If I went interviewing, I'd probably cover it up to make sure it wasn't a factor in their decision to hire me or not. If they did hire me & then had a problem with it -- oh well. That's on them. I won't be voluntarily leaving another job because of comments about my tats.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm in the accounting field, and visible tattoos are a no-no in a professional environment. All of mine are able to be covered up. I would never let a tattoo hurt me in the workplace, it's just not as important.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have one visible tattoo on my forearm. I cover it when I go for interviews but let them know I have it and ask if it will be a problem. If it is I am willing to keep it covered with long sleeves. I just recently got laid off from a long term job due to the company going bankrupt and when I was hired my tattoo wasn't an issue. About five years in the VP decided all visible tattoos had to be covered. My tattoo artist said that was stupid because "who cares if someone has a tattoo? All that matters is that the service is good." As for whether I would hire someone with tattoos, I had an employee who had tats going up both arms and up her neck. Tattoos don't speak about the person you are. Just about your taste in art.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 2:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am a very big believe in the rule "never judge a book by its cover" I agree with what the woman said above, I know some people with tattoos that are crazy, but I know alot more of them WITHOUT tattoos, that are crazy also. I have had many jobs tell me that they wouldn't hire me or I had to cover my tattoos up. I can understand if they are vulgar or rude, but if it's nothing offensive, who cares! People say that they are offensive... Well, I say that we live in an offensive world.. Everything someone does is going to offend someone, no matter what it is. If someone wears a cross and it offends someone, do that take it off? NOPE! Some people are just in close minded to understand that people that have tattoos aren't always bad.
    DMEMcDuffie09

Answer by DMEMcDuffie09 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• not at all, it a very appropriate tatoo. Not tomany people get offended by hearts.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009