Why does everyone assume that just because a couple has kids thogther that means they are married?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Because the odds are in favor of that?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• why wouldn't you be? What are you waiting for?
    Anonymous

• maybe i just dont want to gety married anon simple as that.. its not a law you know.. maybe im just happy the way things are without spending the extra time and money and a piece of paper that wont make us any more of a family then we already are
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Because most people I know with kids ARE. It's easier to assume people are married than it is to assume they aren't. I'd be pissing off too many people if I assumed they WEREN'T married.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't know but it's really annoying. You know what they say about "ASSuming" anyways. Just because you live with, love or have children with someone doesn't mean you have to be married.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I went through this with my First child. I was young and I did some stupid things and got pregnant... I come from a very religous family, and even thought they didn't agree with what I did, NEVER did they pressure me into marrying her father. He ended up leaving me and her and hasn't called or helped out since. I am now happily married and expecting my second child. My daughter is 2 1/2 and is very happy with her new Dad. He has been there for her. For someone to assume that just because you have a child with someone you should get married, is pathetic. Her dad obviously didn't care for her or want to be there for her, so she has someone better now. Just my opinion though.
    DMEMcDuffie09

Answer by DMEMcDuffie09 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I know I hate that, how come when your with a guy they assume he's the dad that's another one I get all the time. My son finally started saying he's not my dad lol and my boyfriend gets embarressed and is like great now the whole store knows.
    joshbellamom

Answer by joshbellamom at 2:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I suppose it's the same as when someone invites you to a party and says to bring your husband and you are a lesbian.

It's just the typical situation for most people with kids...they are married. Not lesbian or gay, not just living together, etc.

Don't let it get you mad. Just say, "He's my SO." If they start getting personal after that, you can decide whether or not to discuss your personal life.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• For your kids sakes it would be good to get married. Legally it is good too. I know , some think its 'cool' to go against tradition..... Celebrities always say "We don't ned a piece of paper...we are married in every way." @@ Just realize that people usually ARE married when they have kids.
    Anonymous

• People just assume things....
    When you date they ask "when will you get married?"
    When you get married they ask "when will you have kids?"

Never occurs to some people that you might not want to get married or have kids. I decided that I am going to start asking random questions. "when will you get a dog?" "when will you get a vacectomy?"
    Anonymous