what to do about toddlers and bad words what is the best way to stop it?

One of my 2 yr olds called me a dumbass and i have no clue where he learned it i want the language to stop what should i do?

LGMOM2006

Asked by LGMOM2006 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would not make a big issue of it to your child- that will give them the idea this is a 'powerful' word and use it more. Just say 'we don't use that word' and then talk about something else. I would give them a new word-- if she says "F" then maybe say "oh fudge' and make a big deal over saying fudge-- that will take the attention off the naughty word.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• look at the movies you watch and the people you habg around. they pick up things so easily. as far as that, don't draw attention to it or they'll just keep repeating it (at least thats how I would approach it at this age).
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I've heard you should ignore it completely. Don't give any reaction to a bad word. He is looking to see if he can get a shock out of you. If you just act like you didn't hear it or he said something bland, he will probably drop it. If you get upset or make any big deal out of it, he will use it like ammo.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I know everyone is going to chew me out for this but this was done to me when I was a kid and I will do this to my child because I KNOW THIS WORKS it worked for me. Use Soap, I took a little bit of liquid soap and put it on my childs mouth and made them sit there for 2 minutes until I let them wash it out. They never said it again. My son still says shut up to me but that is the worse he says, but I use soap when he says that, eventually he'll learn, it's just such a common word for him that he forgets who he's talking to when he says it. His cousins and him must say it to each other when they are at my aunts home daycare, I'm not sure if she punishes him for it but he wont get away from it with me. and 2 years old is not that small, just a tiny drop on their lip will teach them. I say if their big enough to say big words they're big enough for soap.
    joshbellamom

Answer by joshbellamom at 2:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think on a 2 yr old you should prolly just ignore it, since they are just looking for attention. However if he/she continues to do it as they get older, I would start by explaining then if that doesn't work, I would use soap :)
    Anonymous

• Hee hee hee, I was thinking about "A Christmas Story" and Ralphie's soap poisoning induced blindness.....

Sorry. Anyway, if my three year old says something bad, I sit her down and explain to her that it isn't nice to say that, and that princesses don't day bad words. (Since she's convinced that she is an actual princess, this works like a charm.) When my little brother (the same age as my daughter) said something naughty, I asked him if Lightning McQueen said bad words. (He's Cars crazy.) He hung his head, said no, and apologized, never to repeat it. Just try picking someone your child admires and asking if they say yucky words. The answer should of course be no. Maybe that will let your little one know that nice people don't say bad words.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 3:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• the first time we explain that is not a nice word and we do not say it (no slapping or anthign like that, they need to be told it's wrong first) the second or more times we use hot sauce, tiny drop on our finger (wash hands first) or a qtip then rub in their mouth. it has worked so great with my dd she's 4. i give her a cup afterwrads she has to go to the bathroom and get the water to help wth the burning (i know there isn't much) just be sure not to use to much or it could be me\an. i did use soap on her toothbrush for a while but we got no where with that make sure you pay attention to the commericals, shows everyone around your son what they say. it may be it was on a show and you didnt realize it, or was out of the room, didnt realize he was payig attention. something like that.
    mommy2xp

Answer by mommy2xp at 3:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm sorry but i would never put soap or hot sauce in my childs mouth --put soap in your mouth first and see how it tastes --if your not willing to eat it, why would you do that to your child? -- The first time i would ignore it, after that if he says it again, i would ask where he heard it and explain its not a nice word and the next time, he will go to time out or get a spanking. -- You just have to be consistent, if he has to go to timeout everytime he says a bad word, chances are, he'll quit saying it.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 3:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My son said a 4 letter word. We ignored it and he kept saying it. The day I told him he couldn't say it again, he said it about 40 times just testing the limits. (If you decide to tell him he can't say that, make sure you don't have to go anywhere for a couple of days.) He got timed out every time, and for longer and longer increments. What can I say, he's stubborn like his Mama, but tried to curse like a sailor. LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• if you still have to use soap and they are still calling you names.IT DOES NOT WORK LOL. Sorry at that age I would say no that's a bad word, happens again put them in their room for a while. Try not to make a big deal about it though unless it's becoming something they are saying daily over and over because they l love negative attention too!
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2009