• In the Spotlight:

mint tea--the great debate lol

Ok so Im poting this in Just for Fun because I know you ladies would offer more opinions :~)

If I picked some mint leaves from my garden and steeped them in boiling water, did I make tea, or boiled mint water?

epoh

Asked by epoh at 2:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• while it makes sense that it would be a tea, i just bought some spearmint seeds, and it says how to make mint water on the back o_0
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• :-D I think you'd want to dry them first. Give it a shot. The taste will tell you if it's tea or mint water!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• not sure but i think it would need tea leaves to be considered tea regaurdless it sounds good
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 2:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If it is still clear I think mint water :) Let me know if it is tasty I have some mint I dont know what to do with.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Tea.
    Tea is simply an infusion of herbs in water - boiled plant water.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• o0o0o here's some ideas ria:

You can definitely boil it. It will make mint something which helps with an upset tummy.
    Or you can dry the leaves and crush them. Stuff a mismatched sock with rice, put the mint in there, stitch the end shut (I did this with lavendar also). Pop it into the microwave for a minute (or more, until its hot) and you have a nice heating pad :~)

I also have a recipe for mint tomato pasta somewhere (sounds wierd, but I bet it tastes delicious!)

Mint jelly is also good, and made with granny smith apples (I also have a recipe for this, if you'd like either recipe, PM me).

If you're growing it, watch out because it spreads like crazy and will take over your whole garden. I'm going to have a TON of dried mint come the end of the summer.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• thanks kaycee. That's what I thought, but people keep arguing with me telling me I'm making mint water lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Mint water would be if you crushed (or not) mint leaves and put them in cold water.

Mint tea is if you pour boiling water over the leaves. Mint tea can also be regular black or green tea with mint flavoring added either from flavorings or mint.

Answer by Bmat at 2:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the leaves, either fresh or dried, don't boil the water while the leaves are in it. And yes, it is mint TEA...what the hell is mint water anyway?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• you can always add it to a glass/cup of another tea (black, etc) but crush it first so it releases its yumminess :D
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 4:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009