terrible 2's

my little boy is driving me crazy. he will scream all the time. i try to smack his hand but it dont work. he will throw fits like when we are in the store and we let him play with something and when we take it away he will scream so loud. he will even pinch me! what can i do to make him stop doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, giiving him something to play with and then taking it away is just mean...thats just teasing him! If he needs something to play with, take a toy or 2 with you or buy the one you gave him at the store to play with.
    Anonymous

• You need to use the same tactic no matter where you are.

Put him in time out and leave him there until the fit is done. Even out in public. You can simply put him in a corner, on a small blanket that you bring, or even go back out to the car. But do not go home. Going home does two things: By the time you get home, he will not remember the tantrum and will not know why he is being punished if you try to punish him then AND it will teach him that throwing a fit is a great way to get a boring shopping trip to end so he can go home to his toys.

To help when out shopping:
    Make sure he is not tired, that nap time is not coming up soon.
    Make sure he is not hungry or take a small, healthy snack with you.
    Buy 1 or 2 small toys that he only gets to play with when out shopping. Small electronic toys like toy phones, toy music boxes, etc are good choices.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• follow through!!! no empty threats! and try to ignore as much as you can. Kids love negative attention too.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Don't get a toy off the shelf for him to play with. Bring something from home. My son always has snacks, water, and Walnut (his moose). Sometimes I forget a snack, so I'll buy a bag of popcorn for a buck for both of us to share. The only time he ever gets a toy off the shelf to play with is when my husband comes with us, and that's because he thinks it's a necessity to finish our shopping (it's not).
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14. I'd add two things. First, stop smacking him. It isn't working anyway and may be part of why he's pinching you. Second, try to speak calmly but firmly while trying to settle him down. Yelling at him just adds to the tension of the situation. If you can't find a safe, practical place to put him for a timeout, I find that just pinning his arms to his sides and talking calmly to him until he gives us works.

Another suggestion. When you first get into a store, try engaging his attention in a simple game. My son loves shapes so we watch for and identify shapes while we shop.
    Anonymous

• You smack his hand for screaming? WTH! I think your discipline measures may be the problem with your child.
    Anonymous

• You most def need to be consistent every single time w/ whatever punishment u want to do. I am against smacking a childs hand but have done it only in when my DD has reached for the stove but follow it up by an explaniation at her eye level as to why I did that & that I do not like to do that. I also agree w/ anon 2:33 that giving him a toy then taking it away is kinda teaseing. I always bring toys into the store w/ me. I let my DD play w/ toys off the shelf but she does not throw a fit when I put it back so it is ok to let children play w/ toys but not buy them only if they do not have a fit about it. Always be consistent & yes follow through w/ what u say every time. Good Luck
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009