What to do about my teenage sister...?

My little sister is 14 almost 15. She told me last week that she lost her virginity a few weeks back. I ofcourse think she's too young and not mature enough to be sexually active but have tried to remain calm about it so she has someone to talk to... I convinced her to talk to our mom about it and I guess in a way I thought I was kind of off the hook for a minute. Now she's asking me all kinds of questions about pregnancy and admitted she lied and they only used protection at the end. I'm 24 and pregnant and I don't want her to think this is some common interest we share... I'm way stressed out about it and don't know what to say to her... to be honest I just want to slap her around a little. Any advice? How should I handle this situation..?

mizsaxton

Asked by mizsaxton at 2:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I lost my virginity at 15, and I can tell you honestly, that we were NOT smart about protection...if we even used any. It is a miracle that I didn't end up pregnant, until now, 21. That young you don't have understanding of consequences and there is that "I am invincible" attitude that nothing bad is going to happen. I would tell your sister that you are always here for her but that this is something that your Mom definitely needs to know about. She might look up to you and think that being pregnant is "cool" or not if she ends up pregnant, it won't be a big deal because you are pregnant too. It sounds weird but that is the mentality of many young girls. Your mom definitely needs to know about whats going on so she can think of an appropriate way to handle the situation.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I htink you should have a serious talk with her about how it would really mess up her future plans if she were to get pregnant now. Talk to her about birth contro and find some pictures of STDs. Maybe get her to a clinic to get on the pill and tell her to use a condom everytime!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I was her age when I lost my virginity. The only thing that made me be sure to get on the Pill was a threat from my parents....they told me if I get pregnant, they aren't going to help me and will kick me out of the house. Scared me to death. I know, it didn't make me stop having sex, but I never got pregnant until I was married.

She probably won't stop having sex. She may think because you are pregnant and so close to her age, she will have your help if she does get pregnant.

She might not be so motivated to NOT get pregnant, also. A lot of teen girls are ACTIVELY TRYING to have a baby.

Bottom line, you are NOT her parent. Tell your sister you want her to discuss this with your mom. If she wants you to go with her, great. But tell her she has one week to tell your mom or you will do it for her. It's mom's right to know.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• thank you timeless you brought up a good point... Alot of teens are actively trying to have babies... this is odd to me and I'm starting to think this may be my sisters problem. My family ( mom especially ) is SO not tolerant of teen pregnancy. I should think after seeing me as an adult having a hard time with daycare costs and medical bills she might think otherwise but it seems teen girls just see having a baby as something to do it's scary.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 3:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• id take her to the dr planned parenthood or something to get a preg test then help her get on bc
    thats what i did with my younger sister (now 16)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i kno exactly how u feel. i have a little cousin who is 12 and confides in me about sex and other things. sometimes i feel like kicking the crap out of her, but if she coming to me only then i dont want to turn her away. im pregnant and i try hard to get her to understand the results of her choices with talks and whatever. i helped her with bc, and go thru sex ed. also i had to get into her about certain friends with the wrong influences. we dont see each other every day and i try to keep in constant contact. but if you feel that she keeps goin too far, it may have to be you that talks to mom. might cause you to lose her confidence but she will thank you later. i say this only cuz my cousin is getting into more than just sex and i might have to talk to speak up. try and get to kno who she hangs wit and maybe help her get involved into other things. remember shes makin the choices, and ur doin ur best to guide her. good luck.
    Luvli1andlil1

Answer by Luvli1andlil1 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Invite her to your birth
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'd say have her take a pregnancy test, and i'd tell your mom even if she gets mad at you for doing it. She is too young to be having sex. I was her age and having sex, i was younger when i lost my virginity(raped). My mom didn't know till was 16 but i know that if i had ended up pregnant, my mom would of been there for me, she actually told me once that she had expected me to be pregnant at 15-16. If she's not pregnant, you or have your mom take to the drs or a clinic and get her ass on some kind of birthcontrol. I agree with previous posts, if she has started she most likely wont stop. If your comfortable let her see you give birth, it may not stop her from having sex, but it may make her think twice about using protection
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 8:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009