Can I qualify for food stamps or WIC while on maternity leave?

I make a pretty decent salary...about $70K and my hubby makes the same...but I will be taking 3 months off without pay. Would I be able to qualify for government assistance? I've never done this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you will be over the income limit but you can try I guess. My advice would be to start budgeting your money now and putting money aside for the things you think you're going to need help with... your husband makes good money I'm sure you will be just fine.
    Anonymous

• Your hubby makes the same amount? Very doubtful.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Um I doubt it. With that much money coming in, I don't think you will qualify for government assistance. If your husband is bringing in that much money on his own what is it exactly that can't you afford? $70K is a very nice living. And especially if the both of you make around $140K together I can't imagine that you are in that desperate of a situation to need government assistance.
    Anonymous

• OP___I don't know where you guys live but where I live.,..in Northern, NJ and the house we live in $140K combined is not really a lot of money. We have saved up to pay the mortgage, car notes, etc. But I was just thinking about extra food and supplies for the baby while i'm out of work.
    Anonymous

• If you're making that much and still can't get by then you're living beyond your means in my opinion. You just need to budget and cut back on a few things.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Probably not. If your husband will still be working, why would you even need it?
    Anonymous

• Here's a link to the the income requirements for foodstamps in NJ.  http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/ServicesPrograms/FoodStamps/

Usually WIC's requirements are pretty similar...  If your husband's yearly income alone is about $70k, (roughly $5,800/month) you wouldn't even qualify if you had a family of 10. 

dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 3:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No, you will not qualify for any form of public assistance, except perhaps unemployment compensation. Your best bet would be to cut back on expenses. Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water; don't buy juice, milk, soda, etc., except as a special treat. Cook from scratch. Replace meat with beans, seitan, lentils & tofu. Cook dried beans instead of buying canned. Make your own seitan. Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta & brown rice, may cost more than simple grains, like white rice & pasta, but they are more filling &more nutritious, so they really are the better value. Frozen fruits & vegetables often cost less than fresh; they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life & holding their nutrition longer.

Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• cont:

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries & whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies & a little bit of cheese with whole grain toast. Before you go to the grocery store, plan your meals & snacks for the next 8 days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons. Eat before you shop. Buy only what’s on your list. The sales at the store are not to save you money, but to get you to buy more than you need; if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next 3-4 weeks, don't buy it. If you would like some delicious, healthy & family/budget friendly recipes, feel free to contact me. -Robin

• rkoloms- I understand that you're trying to be helpful and I'm not trying to bash you, but it seems to me like you're trying to get her to be a vegetarian- not everyone likes beans and lentils and tofu and I don't feel that anyone who is against eating meat should try to "convert" others into their way of thinking (and vice versa). To each their own.
    While you made a lot of good points, I do have to say that the majority of the time, making meals from scratch (even simple meals) is much more expensive than supplementing with certain prepared items. I've been a chef for 10+ years, so I do know a bit about that. And where did you hear that water is all we need past the age of 2?!
    Anonymous