where do you start?

when you read the bible that is, i mean i've never even opened a bible, so yeah..
where do you start? at the start or a random page! :(

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Genesis i guess.

rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Start with the book of John. Then read the beginning of Genesis . I encourage you to read through the OT before reading all of the NT so that you will have understanding of the NT.
    Defenitly read John first though.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i'm a lil confused. like i said i've never even open a bible, so umm.. whats the book of john? different than the bible or sameth ing?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I first started in the book of Mark. A quick overview of Christs life, then moved to Acts. After I finished off most of the New Testament I came back to the other gospels. Then went off diving into the old.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• The Bible is a collection of "books" - Genesis is the first "book" of the Old Testament, where it talks about creation and many of the Bible stories that people may be familiar with. John is a book in the New Testament, and it talks about Jesus.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• The Bible is divided into the Old and New Testaments. The Old is taken from Jewish text, and the New was written based on the life and message of Christ. Each Testament is divided into books, and the list of names is quite long. From there the books are divided into chapter and verse, so as to easily find specific passages.
    John is in the New Testament. Genesis is the first book of the Bible, in the Old Testament.
    Hope that helps!
    If I had never read any of it before I would try to start at the beginning and work my way through, as the Old Testament is a lot of history and law/tradition (most of which aren't followed by Christians anymore - if we followed them we'd be Jewish, not Christian, lol!) starting with the creation, and so forth. It paves the way to understanding the New Testament.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Although if you don't have the fortitude or patience to read straight through (few people do, lol) I would suggest getting a Bible study or a devotional or even a "One Year Bible", or even just flipping through at first, or looking up parts that most interest you. I grew up with my Bible(s), so I don' remember how it was first introduced to me, or where I started in reading it...
    I'm sorry! I wish I could be more help!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I agree with Shaneagle for sure. Read John first; it is so good.

I personally read the One Year Bible, it goes through the Bible with daily readings out of the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs. I am grow so much when I do daily readings.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I recommend starting in the New Testament. The problem with starting in the Old Testament is that it can get very confusing. Since most people are concerned with Jesus start in the New Testament, the gosple of Luke is the most detailed. Also, a good translation is very important. King James can be very hard to understand, NIV is good, easy to understand but not so modern that it has errors of translation.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i would read the gospels matthew ,mark,luke,john there great ;).

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2009