how does commission pay work?

I applied for a job which does commission pay, but i'm not too familiar with that since I've always been used to hourly pay....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Commission is a percentage of what you sold.
    Anonymous

• Pretty much what the above poster said. is there any kind of base? if not straight commision is tough work! In your contract upon hiring the company will give you "X" amount percentage of what you sell. You have to really balance your money because you could have really good months and really bad months. You are basically only paid on how much you sell. best of luck!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I emailed the ceo with questions and he didn't really answer too much. he only advertised "commission plus bonuses". I emailed my resume and I guess i'll find out the rest if I seem eligible for the job!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Commission based jobs worry me. My husband is going to do a tag-along with Verizon Fios, but it's completely commission based, he would earn $140 commission for every new customer, but if he has a bad week, we can't pay our bills. It's not a guaranteed paycheck, you could work 60 hours and earn NOTHING or work 20 hours and earn $1,000....it's so up in the air. I've been telling him to not bother, right now he has a steady paycheck and I'd like to keep it that way!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Ask what the percentage is. When I did radio sales, I got a 17% commission on direct sales and 13% on agency sales...and that was considered a generous structure.

If it's outside sales, remember that you also have to look at expenses which might not be reimbursed.

Find out if they use draw...that's when you get paid a set amount every month, but you have to sell enough so that your commission equals the monthly draw and hopefully exceeds it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You also want to ask WHEN you get paid: a set time after the sale or a set time after the customer pays the invoice.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 12:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have a commsion based job, I dont mind it at all because its from my home and do it at my conveiance.

Work at home...and spend more time with your children!

I get paid when they purcahse medical discount plans and a portion of thier bill after every time they pay thier dues.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2009