Why do all humans have to suffer for ONE human disobeying God and eating of the forbidden tree?

Doesn't this make God a bit unjust? Why should we love a God who punishes the innocent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Bwahaha! Even though I am a Christian, I crapped up at the comment, "because the bible is bulls***." So many Christians think that quoting the bible is like quoting a fact not an opinion. Anyway, I don't take the story of Adam and Eve literally, I think it figuratively represents how mankind is inclined toward selfishness and "sin". Kind of like how Native Americans created Creation Myths to help them understand the world around them.
    suchbigwords

Answer by suchbigwords at 3:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• actually...there were 2 ppl who ate the forbidden fruit. just saying...
    Anonymous

• Because the bible is bullshit, that's why.
    Anonymous

• We shouldn't love someone like that. But thankfully, he's a myth to me, so I don't have to believe there is someone that malevolent out there judging me constantly.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Adam and Eve did eat the forbidden fruit. Therefore forcing God to put them out of paradise. SIN is the reason, and EVERYONE (except my Lord Jesus Christ) has sinned. Not just Adam and Eve. We all have a sin-nature.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 3:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Why did God make Adam and Eve that way if he didn't want them to sin? Doesn't make sense....unless he gets his jollies from punishing people for things they can't help.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• God made them that way because He wanted them to have free will to choose. He wanted them to choose Him...not be forced.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I personally don't believe in inherited sin, but I do believe that we are all prone to human faults and errs. I also don't believe that life's that bad, or , even if it does suck, that its God punishing us.
    I believe that everything bad that happens is the result of an action/choice of someone, and therefore inflicted, not by God, but by man (or nature/the weather, but not by God's intent). I just believe that God doesn't step in to clean up our messes because to do so would, IMO, interfere with free will, because in order for free will to be free will we would have to accept that there are consequences/effects for our actions/choices, and those may effect us or other people as well.
    I also believe that there must be bad/evil in order to encourage good, because without the one we don't have the other, and what is bad/evil but a LACK of goodness? We are to rise above such things and will to be good.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Not because God will smite us, but because its what's right.
    =)
    bandgeek521

• And I agree with suchbigwords, in that I believe the story is supposed to represent our inclination to selfishness and human desire, rather than being a literal historical happening.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009