Breastfeeding moms-how do I keep it up this time?

With my son I only made it 3 months. My milk supply was more than enough for my son and everything was perfect until those late nights got to me and I started slipping up on making sure he was latching correctly. It got to the point where he would refuse to be patient and latch wide open and I would feel like crying from the pain. :[ My aunt had bought me a pump so I started pumping. I didn't notice any decrease in milk supply (not sure if this can effect it though) until I got an infection and got really sick for just one day. Weird right?

I felt better the next day and my milk had literally almost dried up. I pumped all the time, but hardly anything came out. After three days and seeing that my son was fine with formula, I gave up.

THIS time around I'd like to nurse until about 6 months if I can. Any suggestions or advice? I know it's hard, how do I keep myself going?

ours

Asked by ours at 3:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• And please no bashing, I'm asking for advice on how to do it better next time.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Alot of hospitals have lactation consultants who you can call about anything and they will help you through it. I plan on using them alot at our hospital. It is a free service. They taught us in breastfeeding class to kind of tease their mouth with your nipple, just on their lips until they give you a wide open mouth, then pretty much jam it in. Alot of people I know have had a hard time with it as well. Hang in there. 3 months is better than none. Good Luck.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms board...we will help you go six months and beyond if you want!

Best thing you can do? Forget about last time. Different baby and nothing will be the same. Go pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro so you're well informed.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My son was in daycare and I had a big problem with milk supply for the fourth and fifth month, to the point where it almost dried up. I talked to my peditrician and she recommended a lactation specialist and she worked with me and got my supply back up. I don't remember everything she told me, but I had to drink LOTS of water and I pumped every two hours for a couple weeks. It was very tiring but it worked and everything got back to normal and I breastfed him until he was 1. Oh the other thing was I had to get a better breast pump, like the 300.00 hospital grade one (I borrowed it from a friend but I know you can rent them if you can't afford it or WIC will give you one). Hopefully this helps, lactation consultants are great and actually pretty cheap.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Talk to a lactation consultant about getting the latch right. It shouldn't be hurting when he's 3 months old. I wish you luck! You can do it!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Find a local IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). Talk with her before the birth of this baby is born about your past experience and what you can do different this time. She will be able to give you the individualized one on one advice and support you need to be successful! Congratulations and best of luck to you and your family!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I breastfed both my kids for just past their first birthdays. I remember being sooooo tired at night that I would just lay the baby next to me and nurse laying on my side. Then when the baby was done, into their bed. If that does not work for you, a friend of mine would use bottles of what she pumped to feed at night and then she would pump at the same time and nurse during the day. it is not easy to keep it up...good luck!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009