Anyone having their children court instead of date?

We are wanting our 2 sons to court instead of date. What I'm concerned about is finding like minded parents!

Asked by jackimci at 5:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I am not sure what you mean......

Answer by dmn09 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• This is what I'd like my sons to do as well but I won't have to tackle this issue for several years. Good Luck to you.

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I have no idea what the difference is.

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• what is the difference? My Mother and Father use to use that expression.. Court I always thought if was the same as dating.

Answer by tellis at 7:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My boys are only 6 and 8 but yes, whenever they are old enough, which is when they are out of high school, they will be courting, not dating. We don't like societies idea of dating, even though, well, maybe ESPECIALLY because that's what we did!! Too many mistakes, too young, too serious!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I want this for my children. Meaning, I want them to remain friends only with members of the opposite sex, until they think they'd like to marry one, then they can court and pray about whether this is to be.

BUT on the flip side, if they "date" a boy or girl that doesn't work out, they are going to appreciate the one they marry all the more.

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Courting is different from dating in that: 1. they don't start until they are ready and able to make the marriage commitment. 2. They become friends with girls instead of dating them until they find someone they are interested in enough to possibly get married. 3. The families are very involved. They get to know the person being courted. They do things with the couple. Less time for temptation and veering off in the wrong direction.
    Of course, there's more but that's kind of it in a nutshell.

Answer by jackimci at 11:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Court? Do you mean in trouble or the dating version?

Answer by rosetoes at 11:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• That is our plan. Our oldest is 13 and has experienced the "dating" scene, the peer pressure was extreme! I said, enough! And told her that there will be no "dating" until she is older. Now she likes a boy and he likes her but he is not allowed to date yet either, so we, as parents, are allowing them to "hang" together with the families. They go on Mission trips together, we hang out at the pool with all the siblings, his and hers, and they go to the young adult book club at the library. I am friends with his parents, in fact she and I co-lead our 11yo DDs GirlScout troop. This way they are getting to know each other in the form as friends. Thankfully, this young man is coming from the same faith base that she is so that makes the "hanging" a little easier. They both look to a Higher Power for decision making. So long story short, we hope that "courting" will work for us. I think it is alot easier for boys than it is for girls though. Good luck to us both. LOL ;)

Answer by Mae5 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son is 14 and has written a list of things he's looking for in a wife. He wants to date only the ones that meet these criteria. I guess that's courting and it was his idea and decision. He has yet to "date" anyone. lol

Answer by Soxfan4noni at 2:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2008