I've never been to a counselor before, how do I get started w/a marriage counselor?

I'd be a nervous wreck going in, too. But I realize I have a lot more issues with hubby over the years than I realize. I mean I love his awesome qualities..but some are just hard to deal with. Yes, I love it he does 15 loads of laundry a week, but the other things that get to me that I have a hard time with. I have good insurance.

Would I tell hubby about it? Would I sneak go? Would I just go regardless..how would I do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Well if you want to go alone then there is no need to tell him. Start off by going to your insurance's website and searching for psychologists. Then call around to see who specialize in marital counseling.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I used to work in a counseling agency. Here is my 'advice' to you. If you have insurance I would call them and see what your benefits are, and if they have preferred providers. (some do, some don't). Then I would contact someone from their list-- or if they don't have a list- look thru the phone book and call to make an appointment. If you want your husband to go with you it would be a good idea to tell him you made an appointment. If you want to go to counseling alone- you can have that kept confidential and not disclose it to him. (counselors are bound by confidentiality unless you sign a release of information). If you go alone you can have your hubby sit in on some sessions later on- if he agrees to it. I hope things work out for you- good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009