Why would anyone leave a 7 year old to watch a 2 year old by a pool??

I read a post today in one of my groups where a member's 2 year old niece had been found face-down in a pool after "Granny" had left a 7 year old in charge of the 2 year old outside. The 7 year old came inside, leaving the 2 year old alone, then returned about 15 minutes later to find his 2 year old sister face down in Granny's pool.

Don't get me wrong--I am praying for this little girl--who may not make it. But seriously?? Leaving a 7 year old to watch a 2 year old by a POOL??

tacomagirl

Asked by tacomagirl at 3:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• NO NO NO!!!!! That is so sad.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• some ppl dont care its sad..in my neighborhood that happens all the time kids are watching their lil sisters or brothers cuz the parents are to lazy to do it
    emilysmama05

Answer by emilysmama05 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• So grandma must not have been thinking about the age...or maybe grandma fell asleep, and 7yr olds dont have the attention span to watch another child. they barely pay enough attention to keep themselves from harm! thats sooo sad!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• omg.. thats so sad.

my sil is like that with her kids. she has an 8yo, an almost 3 yr old and a 2 year old. she always leaves the 8yo in charge of watching the kids while she goes outside for maybe an hour or 2 to hang out with her friends. these kids are UNATTENDED! they were living with us, so i've seen it first hand. i couldn't take it so i'd watch them voluntarily. i'm not confrontational because i don't think it's my place to tell her how to parent. but i didn't like it so i watched them. i was mad, but i just didnt want to argue. they moved out of state & now i'm worried about them. one of the LO's swallowed some heart medication on his bro's watch & had to be hospitalized. you'd think she'd learn to watch her kids herself after that, but she just got mad at him & took no responsibility. it pisses me off, but i dont want to overstep my bounds by telling her how to take care of her kids.
    Anonymous

• Is this question really necessary as the mom that it happened to will probably see it?!

MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 4:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Its so sad that so many parents just simply dont want to do what they need to do which is keep an eye on their children. No matter how mature they seem or how well they have learned something they are still children! Just the other day I was letting my DD go ahead of me on the stairs while I was saying to a friend who was right behind me "yeah I'm glad that she has gotten the stair thing down so I dont have to worry about her too much with them" & what do u know for the first time ever she tripped & rolled down 5 stairs before I could catch her! Its not like I wasnt watching her but its the fact that even though I thought she had the stairs down shes still only 17 mo & gets distracted or trips. My DD was fine a little frightened but no real damage done. I do wish more parents cared to want to hang out & watch their kids though :(
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• # # Answered at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 by: * MommyKKay Mommy... Is this question really necessary as the mom that it happened to will probably see it?!

Hence the reason not to post it to the original post asking for prayers.  The post that was put on a PUBLIC fouum??

I think that EVERYONE should see that post--so they THINK about what happens when you leave children unattended around pools.

RainingHeart

Answer by RainingHeart at 5:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• MommyKKay, I am sure the mother is heartbroken. But if this happened to my child, I would want the world to know the possible outcome of making this decision to leave the 7-year-old with a 2-year old by the pool to prevent this from happening to another family. It is sad. Some people just assume that 7-year-olds are mature enough to care for younger siblings. Some do act mature. I can see how this could have happened. My heart breaks for the 7-year-old... she's going to have to live with this for the rest of her life. How horrible.
    Anonymous