Pagans: Do you pray?

Do you pray to a specific deity? To a different deity for different needs? What is the nature of your prayer - connection, blessing, supplication, worship?

How do you feel that your idea or practice of prayer differs from the prayer of those in mainstream monotheistic faiths? How might it be similar?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 3:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not in the way most people do. I'll give thanks to wights, and blots, usually to Odin, Thor, Frigga and Baldr, but it's nothing like monotheistic prayer. Mainly because there is no asking for things. Perseverance, Self-Reliance and Discipline - means we are to be responsible for ourselves, not go around asking someone to make it all better or explain it all.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• What is your definition of pagan?
    Anonymous

• Broadest definition - anyone who isn't Jewish, Christian, or Muslim who self-identifies as Pagan. :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• im not christian..or pagan...im a spiritualist and i pray in a way.......i talk directly to him and michael. anyone can. but its more a convo than praying.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Actually my main form of prayer, at the moment, is to just talk to them in my head and heart whenever the mood strikes.

I do get more formal and light a candle and say specific words(depending on the need for the prayer) but usually I just talk to them throughout the day.

I mainly pray to Lakshmi(Hindu Goddess) but sometimes I pray to both her and the God.

My prayers are usually for comfort, to gain strength and aid with a particular issue or just because Ive always talked to God(and now Goddess) in my head and heart as I go throughout the day. Just saying hello to them, so to speak and letting them know Im still here and love them even if I get too busy to kneel or sit and pray in front of my altar.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I do a daily devotional to the God and Goddess.
    Something simple

I am thankful to the God and Goddess for welcoming me to the path of the ancient ones
    May I walk with you this day, ever being mindful of heart and spirit of the ways of our ancestors.
    May I honor your spirit by keeping true to my self and all living things.
    Blessed the Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit
    Blessed Be
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No. I might ask the energy of a certain deity to merge with me for the sake of some specific goal, but I don't believe that there is a consciousness that feels sympathy for me or decides whether or not to help. Like all other energy in the universe, I feel I can direct it by understanding it's nature, which includes knowing the name of the deity & the characteristics ascribed to it, and addressing it. But I don't really consider that prayer. In my opinion prayer involves an entity that has an individual consciousness that can choose to answer your prayer or not. It also involves giving the power to change something to the deity, which is something I would never do. In ritual I will also connect with the energy of various deities for the sake of understanding or experience, without any specific goal, others might consider this similar to something they do that they call prayer, but I would not.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• For me, taking the scraps out to the compost bin is a form of prayer...giving back to Mother Earth some of what she has given us.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• depends on how you define prayer. Not to mention "Pagan" -- that's like saying Christian and meaning everyone from Catholics to Jehovah Witness to Amish to Lutheran and expecting all to follow the same traditions.
    If by prayer you mean sending energy up to the universe -- whether defined by you as a higher being, god/dess etc. Honestly I thik everyone does. Spirituality is such an individual thing. Some people define praying and reciting a memorized "poem" but not truly having any feeling behind it. That to me is not a prayer. To me a prayer is from the heart/soul and can be a plea for understanding, gratitude for a miracle, thank you for a beautiful day/meal/perfect tomatoe or just a Hi, what's up? How are you?. To me it can even be an action, a hug, a smile, or taking stuff out to compost.
    Hope I've answered your question.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Hi MamiJaAyla... I'm really just curious about how others define prayer, and expect a variety of answers to reflect the extreme breadth of the "Pagan" definition. I left it broad on purpose - in the past I've been VERY specific but I wanted to know the different ways of seeing the concept of prayer. So yes, you did answer my question! Thank you!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009