Do you have get another ultrasound in after week 20, or is that your last?

I had my last ultrasound at week 20 and found out the sex, but I thought my doctor said that was the last one I would have. I've read alot online where people said you get one around 34 weeks to make sure the baby is doing okay. Is this true?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Many doctors just do that one larger ultrasound at 16-22 weeks. If there is any medical reason why you are high risk you may have more. I tend to have them at almost every visit because I'm a type 2 diabetic!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Only if they have reason to check, I was measuring big and my placenta was low so I got more.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• PP's are correct. I only had 1 with my first child but with my 2nd I had like a million lol. First they said the fluid was low, then I had an amnio and they did a full echocardiogram on her via ultrasound, then i had one to find out the sex, and finally one just before they induced me to see her position and size. Everything ended up being okay though!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i got two until the day I delivered... but they felt a butt and checked her. She was breech. Otherwise i think the last one is on 16-22 week
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I thought that was all, but now I think doctors are doing them more and more. I had two "late in life" babies..one at 39 and one at 40. I swear, I had a hard time keeping track of all the photos lol. I lost count of the amount of scans I had. They treated me like I was some 80 yr old having a history making birth lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yeah most Dr's only do the 1 unless there is a problem, or they are worried about the size of the baby, or placement of placenta.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• most drs only do the 20 week one
    unless your high risk there really is no need for anymore then that .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You should get another one..
    NewMomToBe84

Answer by NewMomToBe84 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• idk =/ they cut me off, my last ultrasound was like a month or so ago... I'm 27 weeks. Ha ha. No more unless told otherwise, though I might request a referral for another one.

gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No, my doctor said that they usually would do another one near the end of the pregnancy, just ask your doctor and if not then request one.
    MommyToBe1023

Answer by MommyToBe1023 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009