Ever heard of being STERILE from the depo shot?

I knew it could take a while to get prego after I stopped the shot but goodness... now I'm worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

• I had a friend who took 5 years of TTC after going off Depo and then she got pregnant right away with #2 (she went on the pill between #1 and #2). Her doctor told her it was due to her uterus lining thinning and there was nothing he could do to help, only time would tell if it would thicken back up to be able to sustain a pregnancy. She was on Depo for 6 years before TTC and her doctor said the longer you are on it the more likely it is to have that effect.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• aww! how long have you been ttc? i know it can take a while but don't give up! i haven't heard if sterility from the shot though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No I've heard a lot of people get pregnant on it and have miscarriages, but nothing about being sterile.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 4:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• nope, never heard that. But it can take up to a year or a bit longer. I loved the shot when I was on it. My DD was concieved almost a year after I stopped.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i was told that some of the hormones from depo can stay in your system for 8 -10 months after your last 3 month shot expires... i've also heard that it can thin the lining of your uterus if you are on it for an extended period of time.... sorry not things you probably wanted to hear... good luck!!!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009