best way to cut fingernails on a newborn?

They are so thin but so long! the clippers and scissors won't cut them and the nail file doesn't seem to work either....any tricks??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Using baby nail clippers and while she is sleeping gently hold her hand and with the thumb and for-finger of the same hand gently press down on the fatty fleshy part of the finger behind the nail. This should give you better access to the nail. Cut across in a straight line. Do the toes the same way but instead of a straight line try to go with the natural curve of the nail.

Hope that helps!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• someone told me to actually nibble them off yourself. i've never tried it though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Baby nail clippers should and when they are sleeping.

Anonymous

• I use a small emery board to take off the little top, the nails are so soft and small I never wanted to cut her finger... it works for me... :-)
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 4:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Bite them.

OR, if that grosses you out then use baby clippers.

While they are asleep can be helpful or it might wake them, just have to test it out LOL.

Also my sons' pediatrician told me to cut them straight across not to try and round them off,etc otherwise they'd get hangnails.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• do it when they are sleeping, they won't fight you holding their arms still then. with my daughter hers broke easily so when it did break i would just peel the rest off (like she would get a little slit in the side and i could peel the nail off w/my fingers) if they didn't break before they got too long i bit them off. their hands aren't dirty and it was easier than clippers on her. with my son, his don't break and i can't bite his b/c they are thicker so i use the baby nail clippers.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My mother used to bite mine off, but then I had this horrible habit of biting my nails and did for all of my childhood. That is why I don't. Whenever I nurse our son, my husband comes with baby nail clippers and clips them. That is they are calm enough and you don't have to worry about waking them. You kind of have to go about them in pieces because it is hard to get it all off.
    Anonymous

• I used to bite my daughters
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• File them. If you bite them they get hangnails, I did that b/c my DD would not let me file or cut hers, but she always got hangnails and scratched herself up.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I always bite my sons then use a file to get off the hang nails
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 5:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009