Do you think that most women are competitive with each other?

Do you feel like you're in competition with other women, especially when it comes to physical appearance... such as do you ever compare your hair, weight, boobs, whatever physical when you meet other women? Do you compare yourself in other ways, like in your career, material things, relationships, etc. If you said yes to the above, do you also compare yourself to men, or is it mainly women?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Nope.  I'm comfortable in my own skin and I'm aging well.  I've had people guess my age to be between 31 and 35 and I will be 46 in August.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I do compare, but I don't feel the need to compete. The only time that happened was when one of my best friends bought a house, and we weren't able to yet. Then yes, I was envious. Once I did get a house, I got over it.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I compare the things I'm uncomfortable with about myself physically. Otherwise, I do compare myself to other mothering techniques. I think every mom does! I do recognize every mom is different and has different opinions.. what I notice is a mother doing something I would like to do with my dd! Reading books every night, working more on colors and such (my dd is a year and a half), or different food ideas!!! I basically compare mothering techniques becuase then I feel like I'm doing all right... it's my reassurance thing!!! But if a mom does something I wouldn't do, that's her child and not my place to condone her. I just take it as something I wouldn't do.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• beeky, let me ask you this... do you ever see someone else your age who looks like they're 46 or older and think, "wow- I'm so glad I look the way I do."
    That's awesome that you've been able to keep your youthful appearance!
    Anonymous

• Yes, i think that MOST woman are. But not all. I have been a few times, especially with dear sister growing up.

If anything i will compare physical stuff, like boobs. For instance my Fiance's ex has the BEST rack i have ever seen & ya, i wont lie. I wish i had her boobs. I'll joke with him & say "how can you like my boobs after holding a rack like THAT" So, i guess i DO compare, but i wont get competitive with other woman unless I'm playing a sport, or a game....lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm not that way, but I know other women who are. I'm happy with myself and my life, and know there are a lot of people that would LOVE to have my life. How ever, I know some women who are in constant competition with everyone.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I do try not to compare.but I do, do it with the the women on the aging dept. But my MIL did that with me and my mother all the time. With clothing, makeup, money, weight, everything. So now I do not talk to her.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I stand on my own personality and merit. I don't care what other women look like. My SO chases everything that moves from teens to old ladies, fat, skinny, all colors. If it has estrogen he's after it but with all those choices he always manages to come back and be content with me and I'm no raving beauty! I'm old, overweight and some days have a bad attitude but I make him feel like he is king of my castle and that's what matters.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• beeky, let me ask you this... do you ever see someone else your age who looks like they're 46 or older and think, "wow- I'm so glad I look the way I do."   I suppose if I'm completely honest with myself, I do on some level.  I'm more likely to think that a bit of make up and a new hairstyle could completely revitalise someone.  The thing is, I've done the frump look so I don't judge.  We all know how having young children leaves you no time for yourself, you're doing well if you have time for a shower. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• In competition, no, but I do compare.
    I hang out with and are friends with a lot of really attractive, fit, health- conscience and minded women that are very smart.
    I just had a baby 3 months ago and gained 60lbs, so it's hard see them fit and thin, when I'm struggling to lose the weight (I've lost 30 and would like to lose another 30-40). I'm working really hard on it (in a healthy manner, diet and exercise).
    I feel like I've got to keep up and be the best that I can be, whether it's physically, mentally or emotionally. I'm constantly trying to challenge myself in some aspect of my life and sometimes other women's qualities help challenge me or open my mind.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2009