I have a 3 year old boy who has always slept well, but for the past 2 weeks he has a trouble going to bed and wakes up like every hour and comes into our room. We keep putting him back in his room, but sometimes he screams and cries. He says he wants to sleep with us and just will not give up the fight. I have a 2 month old that sleeps great, but I'm exhausted. I need some help because I feel like I've tried everything and I don't know what the problem is and how to fix it. Help!

I have a 3 year old that has always slept well, but for the past 2 weeks has had trouble falling asleep alone and wakes up constantly in the middle of the night and comes into our room. I keep putting him back in his bed, but he still gets up. I have a 2 month old who sleeps great, but I'm exhausted and frusterated. What should I do? Anyone know how to stop it? Help!

kbmama531

Asked by kbmama531 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like he is having nightmares. Does he have a stuffed animal to sleep with and a nightlight? Maybe that would help. Otherwise maybe tell him he can sleep in your bed for so many days then he has to stay in his own bed from then on.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 4:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Is there something in his room that might be scaring him? Does he have a nightlight?

My son has been a little scared at bedtime b/c one night a car was honking its horn at 2 am and woke him up. Each time we go to his room, he asks about the car. He is only 2.

And I'm not sure because I don't have a 3 yr old and never have dealt with one, but when my little cousin was 5, she was so scared of going to bed b/c she though there were monsters under her bed. I told her that I had invisible monster spray that would get rid of them no matter what and so I pretended to squirt under her bed and anytime she was scared she would grab the invisible spray and they would go away :) I was only 11 at the time.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 4:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• my son did this at 16 months. well, he'd wake up in the middle of the night, going to bed wasn't a problem. when he woke up, i'd take him in the living room, we'd watch a 15 minute educational show, and cuddle on the couch. then i'd put him to bed, and let him CIO for about 20 minutes. if he wasn't asleep by then, i'd do it again. for a couple days, it took about 3 times a night, but he ended up figuring it out and it went from 3, to 2, to 1, to none, and he slept through the night since then. this was going on for about a week. it also helps that i have a thing over his doorknob so he can't open his door. only i can from the outside.
    Anonymous

• does the baby sleep in your room? maybe he is starting to get jealous of that whereas before it didn't bother him as much, but now that baby is growing up a bit it upsets him.
    and ask him if he sees stuff when he is sleeping, if he is ask what he sees. he might be having nightmares, if he is you can explain that its just a dream (a movie in his head when he closes his eyes to sleep, my dd got that and shes 3 1/2). does he have a nightlight? he might be waking up like he normally did before, but before he would just go back to sleep, the nightlight might be casting shadows that scar him. we have to "scare" away the monsters every night at bedtime, and she has a special bear and a saying she can say if she wakes up and they are there. and i told her that would scare them if it was after mommy and daddy scared them for her. and on occasion i have walked by her room and heard her going "you scary monster go away and let me go CON
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• to sleep" we also put a gate by her door so she can't get out and wander around at night. she also has a flashlight by her bed in case she can't "get rid" of the scary monsters (in our case its the shadows from the nightlight b/c i had her show them to me one night and it was shadows on the walls from her stuffed animals) that way she can take the flashlight to her door and call for mommy or daddy to help her out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2009