is it really a big deal??

ok so i went to the dr. today and i am only 22 weeks so i only been going to the dr every 4 weeks well i asked her what the mucus plug looks like you know just a normal dr appt question and she asked me why and i told because i have been having different discharge kind of a greenish tint and it comes here and there and she is now making me come back in two week insead to check is this really that big of a deal? even if it is my mucus plug there is nothing they can do right? i just dont feel like it was that big of deal and i really dont like dr visits when they have to check all that i try to avoid them as much as possible!!

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 5:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If your mucous plug were to fall out that would be a sign of premature labor. Sounds like she is just trying to prevent that.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I wouldnt say that was all that normal i am 25 weeks and its not happened to me yes i do have alot of discharge but its clear but I def just let the doc check it out to make sure its nothing serious. You always want to keep you and the baby safe and healthy
    krysdawn09

Answer by krysdawn09 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• What they can do is put you on bed rest. Just take it easy the next two weeks and try not to have sex.
    Anonymous

• Yes it's a big deal because they will need to monitor the baby and you and if they feel the baby is in danger they can put you on bed rest or induce or emergency c-section depending on what really is going on. Don't take pregnancy lightly. It's not easy.

Anonymous

• Well, I would be happy that my DR is on top of things and yes i would think that it's a big deal. She thinks that it's worth her time and she's makeing sure that your unborn child is ok . Sorry it's not all about you right now. So don't and stop being so selfish.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't complain if you'r dr is wanting to play it safe. it takes time out of their day to see you jus like it takes time from yours and I don't think they would want to take extra time if they didn't think it was necesarry. Be happy you have a dr that cares instead of one that says everything is "normal" everytime you call with a question and then you miscarry a few weeks later. That happened to me and I would have felt so much better about things if i would have felt like he gave a crap!!
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 5:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I lost my mucus plug with my first pregnancy at 34 weeks and I had my son 2 days later. It can be a sign of pre-term labor and she is just doing her job to try to prevent it. I have heard other people say that their plug has grown back, but with my son, my water broke like I said 2 days later.

You kind of have to get used to the idea of your doctor checking you. Just try to relax during it. I am not a fan of getting checked either, but since I have had pre-term labor since I was 22 weeks along this pregnancy, I am now going to be 32 weeks Weds. I am used to it because my doctor checks me every visit to make sure I am not dilating. If it means protecting my baby and making sure she stays in as long as possible I am happy for himt o check me.
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 5:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• ok know you all scared me i had pre term labor with my son and 30 weeks and had to stop it and i have been having things that feel like contractions but my dr just said its bracks and hick and was nothing to worry about uhh alright now iam scared thanks for the advice!!!
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 5:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Hey maybe it scared you but if you lost your mucus plug this early that could be dangerous for you and the baby.....it may be fixed by putting you on bedrest or sometimes sewing the cervix shut and bedrest or medication....Truth is you looked at it WAY too lightly when all your doctor is doing is giving you the best care, afterall it's what you HIRED her to do!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Your mucus plug is there to prevent any infectious diseases from getting to your baby. It's like a protective barrier , be glad your doctor is concerned. Take it easy and good luck!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 5:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2009