How can I find a job as Medical Assistant if noone is willing to hire a recent graduate?

I am a new graduate and everywhere I go to apply they want at least a year experience. My thought is how does one get the experience if they arent given the opportuniy to receive it?... Im so close giving up but the whole reason i went to school was for my children to have a better life and now that Im not with their father its even harder because I dont really have any income. Does anyone ahve any suggestions or can anyone help me get a job in my field.

TINYMOM4

Asked by TINYMOM4 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Try applying at a temporary employment company. This way you at least get your foot in the door.

Answer by Bmat at 5:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Have you thought about going to an office that is hiring and offer to volunteer 2 mornings a week for a set period of time. If they were happy they would hire you. I don't know if they do that where you are but it is done in some offices here. In some places it is written up as a formal internship for 45 days. Otherwise..keep on plugging away. Don't give up. Make sure your resume is appropriate, you fill out applications only in black ink unless they specify otherwise. A very neat appearance..not over or underdresssed. No jelwelry (except a wedding band if you have one), no perfume. Answer with Sir or Ma'am. Think about how you will answer questions like.."what do you expect to be paid" "what do yu bring to the table that would be an assest for our office/company/whatever" Thoses are really common questions interviews. Be confident. If you are not people can smell it a mile away. Have former instructors write references.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Here are a few suggestions:
    Start with the placement office at the school where you received your degree; many hiring managers contact schools first when then wish to hire new grads.
    How are you conducting your job search? Less than half of all open positions are advertised; you need to network with people in the field and industry you wish to work in. Have you had any informational interviews with people in your chosen field to learn how they found their current positions? How are you seaching for advertised positions? Do you have a great resume and do you send them with strong coverletters?
    I do career and job search coaching; please contact me if you have any questions.
    Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i had the same problem, try a temp service, that's how i got started :) good luck
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• rkoloms has posted some GREAT advice, especially utilizing the placement office at the college or university where you earned your degree.

Just a little tidbit that I learned while I was redoing my resume - I was told that the time I spent in certain courses counted as experience. For instance, I earned a degree in medical billing and coding and spent many hours in coding courses - even received certificates for them. I can use that time I spent in the courses as part of my time of experience.

Think of a course that is directly related to the job you are applying to and be sure to list it in your resume as experience. During an interview when you are asked where you obtained the experience be honest and let them know of the time spent in your course, what you learned, and the type of grades you received.

I wish you all the best! I know how difficult it is. {hugs}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009