how do you get your baby to sleep through the night?

im a new mom. i just want a few more hours of sleep.

ella09

Asked by ella09 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what I did right, my little man was sleeping through the night at 2 months and before that he only woke up once a night to feed. He is now 10 months and sleeps 10 -12 hours a night every night!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You don't! Seriously, my baby girl is 15 weeks and the longest she'll sleep at night is 3 hrs. in a row. She gets up 3 or 4 times every night and always has. Some people are just lucky like the above poster and some are not so lucky, like me. If you want to save yourself the headache, I wouldn't ask other peope when theirs slept through the night. Everyone's kid is different and it'll just upset you if yours doesn't sleep through the night. I try not to worry too much.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Some babies are good night sleepers and some just are not. Just like some are good eaters or good nappers. Especially with a new baby though, it is unlikely that he'll sleep through the night anytime soon. How old is your baby? They are physically able to go a full night without eating at 6 months BUT the catch is that what is considered a full night is only a 5 hour stretch!

Try to get some help at night, catch a nap during the day, and try try try (Lord knows that I know it's hard) to think of that late night time with your baby as a blessing. These days don't last too long and before you know it he'll be trying to get away from you rather than calling for you!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Your baby will wake up through the night until s/he is mature enough to sleep through the night. This occurs at different ages. For my son, it was 9 months old. For my best friend's daughter, it occured at 8 weeks old. Just make sure your baby is dry, full, burped, and comfortably dressed before you put her down. If your baby is young, you can try swaddling so the startle reflex doesn't wake her up. This may buy you extra minutes or an hour. Or it might not. Until then, change your priorities and nap when the baby naps. Let the house go a bit, or have your SO/family help you with the house/laundry/etc so you can get your much-needed sleep. Good luck! Remember, this will pass. And much, much faster than you realize.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 5:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Heh heh....sleep is the Holy Grail of parenting...and you have a better chance of obtaining the real Grail.

Sleep when the baby sleeps. Dump anything not needed for survival. She'll sleep more when she does it....what you do has little to no bearing on that.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• mine is now 9 mths and sleeping all night and belive me i never thought she would get their i dint have any help and other then that i had to keep my baby quite for his sake cause he works 12 to 15 hour shifts, and she was up like 5 or 8 times betwee 8pm -7am so i never slept i was always up and ready with a warm bottle and 3 weeks ago i was up waiting for her to wake up and want to eat but nothing she didnt wake up and she hasn t since then and well my internal alarm clock was going off for 2wks after she decided she dint want to wake up so i made it me time !! and now i finally sleep so am happy so belive me you will get their and mean while give her permission to cry and get it all out i read it in a magazine it suppose to makes the prosses easier well good luck
    nanysmommy

Answer by nanysmommy at 7:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• buy some dark curtains!! i swear i sleep so much more now! i dont mean blackout curtains that make it dark as night, but some sheer black curtains. i close the bathroom door so no light gets in when the sun starts coming up, close the blinds and curtains and my baby will sleep until 9 am or sometimes 10 or 11. i still have to get up for one quick feeding but then it's straight back to sleep. just make sure the baby is full when u lay her down for bed. and make sure she has a fresh diaper. and jsut hope for the best. give her a binky if she wakes up. don't jsut get up at the slightest noise she makes. try to get her to go back to sleep and only feed her if she won't take a binky and keeps waking up and getting louder
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2009