Does the bible say that women should wear skirts only or does it not say? I need verses

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ok you need to think about the time period that was written. It was speaking to a certain group who obviously switched clothing from time to time. It was written as a warning to the people not to be dishonorable and dress in approriate clothing. In those days they wore Tunics. There were no such thing as pants or skirts.
    If you want to apply it to today... it would be difficult to do so. Where I attend church, it is casual. Not many wear skirts .. we do tend to have people that get "slain" in the Spirit ( NOT up for argument in this thread so DO NOT start one) and when they fall its better to be wearing pants :-)
    There is to be common sense and wisdom in what to wear as well. Such as revealing clothes. I do not wear shirts that will show my cleavage, nor will I wear pants that show my belly button. Nor will I wear a skirt that's is inches below my rear. All common sense.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I doubt they wore pants and skirts back in the time the Bible was written. Tunics and such yes. I imagine mens and womens clothes looked differently.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• There should be a few good responses with specific verses for you to look up. Make sure when you look them up, you take into account who wrote it, who it was written to, and what was going on during that time. I don't know of them off hand but I know Paul had written a couple letters that talked of "dress".
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I only wear woman's jeans.
    Anonymous

• You should read the whole verse in context.. it does not say a woman should only wear skirts.. they didn't have skirts or pants.. they all wore robes.

Deut. 22:5 - “A woman must not put on men’s clothing, and a man must not wear women’s clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the Lord your God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I looked it up in my NIV study bible and the notes tie Deuteronomy 22:5 to Leviticus 18:22
    "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that isdetestable." and Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
    Anonymous

• Read Matthew 6:25-30
    Anonymous

• Did anyone wear pants during that time peroid? I thought it was Togas and robes for everyone
    Anonymous

• I don't know the verse, but the CONTEXT is that men and women should not dress like each other. And their dress should be distinguishable. Therefore a woman wearing pants is a no no because that is the dress of a man, and a man should not wear skirts because that is the dress of a woman.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 7:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• NCMommy2be...technically what is a skirt? Would a kily be considered a skirt? If so then Irish men cannot were their traditional heritage dress for fear of being considered a sinner?
    Anonymous