What would you do here?

My darling son just broke his bed. The head board and foot board have pegs that lock into the sides, then the metal frame works something like a hollywood frame with a metal disc that slides into slots on the sides of the head board and foot board. He gets told constantly not to jump on his bed. The pegs were separating in the foot board. So today, I hear this resounding crash about 5 minutes after I ask him not to jump on his bed. The dowels broke off. So the footboard is now completely separate from the rest of the frame. So I took the frame out and put the mattress on the floor. He then says to me, with quite the attitude "I don't see how that is going to be any different than before. I still have a mattress." So I took the mattress out of his room too, for the attitude. He broke his bed, shows no remorse, and even kind of thinks the idea of sleeping on a mattress on the floor is cool. What would you do here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree completely with Vachmommy. Start collecting his allowance for yourself until you can afford to buy him a new bed. Or until you think he has learned his lesson. I would have left the mattress there too, until that little comment. He was pushing you, IMO. You will get some people telling you that you were too hard on him, but I think you were right. If you don't stand your ground with him, he will learn how to manipulate you.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• he'd be working bto pay for a new one and sleeping on the floor til hes made enough (added chores around the house etc...) if it wasn't for the attitude i'd leave the mattress but not with that comment.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'd think that sleeping on the floor is cool too. When my son first threw up when he was little he thought it was the most exciting thing in the world, weird huh. Just tell him if he breaks any furniture again he'll be out of presents for bday xmas whatever to pay it back!!!!These things happen.
    Anonymous

• his butt can sleep on the floor if he was my son. he will learn to respect his property more after a few days on a floor with no mattress. and yes-he would be doing chores or something to replace that bed.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• how old is he? geeze
    Anonymous

• The next time he wants you to buy something....and tells you how cool it is. Agree with him how cool it is and how much you would like to buy it for him....but you can't. You don't have the money because you have to use it to get his bed FIXED. Remain calm and try not to laugh!
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think you did the right thing & like the PP said make him work to pay for the bed & only then can he have a new bed. But don't buy a brand new one buy a used frame & make him use the same mattress that you have.

usmom3

Answer by usmom3 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• For all the moms,who are being so hard on him for jumping on the beds, did you ever jump on the beds when you were young,I know you did, I am really laughing,because I'm remembering jumping from one bed to the other,and the twin beds would fall,they had wooden slats back then. I would talk to him about talking back and not being remorseful for breaking his bed,give him back his mattress,he needs that. Jumping on the beds,oh,the good days.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• OP here

This is the child that lost his two front teeth jumping on the bed. YUP. He also managed to push a friend into the closet door while jumping on the bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• A bed should be able to hold up to a child; something is wrong. Up until my daughter was 5 or 6, it was not unusual to find her and a friend jumping on the bed (yes, I would make them stop); and her bed is about 80 years old.
    For now, I would just leave the mattress and box spring on the floor.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2009