trying to wean my almost 10 month old from breast feeding

ok a\im trying to wean my son from boobies.. hes going to be 10 months in 14 or 15 days. hes taking a bottle just fine so hes adapting to it well. im choosing to still bf at night b4 his bed time tho. but as for me. im in so much pain and so swollen and hard!!!! someone help me find comfort! with out making me still produce. i want to basically lose my production all in all. if i can be able to not give him my boobies b4 bed it would be great to. but this hurts so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 6:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in order to lose it all you have to stop BF'ing him completely. i know how painful they get when they're engorged but you have to put up with it for a few days and then it will start to dry up. good luck!
    Anonymous

• don stop completely..
    if hurt feed during the day not at night once a day.
    i did this i feed my daughter once a day at 9 month and i stop breast feeding at 9 month and i did only once a day and when my breast hurt i will feed again then it should be fine after that

mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Your best bet is every few days to a week drop one feeding. That is if you don't want clogged ducts and possibly a mastis.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• well i have he only fed 4 times a day... so over the last week n a half i have dropped one feeding like every 3 days.. today was the drop the morning wake up feed. and i been dieing all day. otherwise the other 2 feedings he dropped( the durring the day ones) hes dropped completely and that went well. im as of right now countin down the time till i can whip em out for bed time.. to get some dang releif... like i would hand express in the shower. but wont that still keep my supply going? i rly wanna stop completely
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 6:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Some of the mothers on cafemom doesn't want want to stop breastfeeding their children and that is why you aren't getting that many answers. They are still breastfeeding their preschoolers, which is sick by the way. Good job mommy that you are trying to wean at a decent age.
    Anonymous

• Weaning will involve some pain on your part, you just have to bare it. It will be less if you gradually wean, like others stated. Take some tylenol, ice them and hang in there. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• thanx for the praise. i mean ima first time mom who didnt want to bf in the first place and i stuck thru it thus far. im simply choosing to discontinue doing it so i can get rdy to start a job and things again. i mean i gave it my all and it was damn sure more then any other bottle feeding mom can say. like it was hard at first and things got easier. nothing was more discouraging then when i did get sore cracked nips.. i still kept going tho cuz i did want best for my son. and no im not calling bottle feeding moms bad mothers! i wouldnt ever do that. but as for me. i get comments from all over with im selfish for taking the breast from my son and blah-zay-blah. i did my best. hes a strong healthy 25 pound lil boy. hes just under 3ft tall and hes the love of my life. but god do my boobies hurt! lol
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 7:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My son is 11 months and we are weaning as well. I've just cut out feedings slowly.... if I feel full then I feed him or pump. Now we are down to just one feeding in the morning. I've not had any discomfort at all.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• if your really engorged you may want to hand express a little, b/c you dont want to get a infection. it will still dry up if you only take a little out(in time), to relief pain. and congrads to you for bfeeding that long! i B.F.E until my lil man turned 5 half mos then started some formula, so i could go back to work. hes almost 6 half mos and i bf him morning, one mid, and before bed, and he has 3 (8oz) bottles. i love it , that my hubby can feed him some and i get a break! and i still have the closeness of bfeeding (and the good stuff for him.lol).
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• NO COLD TURKEY!

Drop only ONE feeding per week till gone, no faster. Cold turkey is an open invitation to mastitis.

IF you don't want to put baby to breast, then pump and drop pumping sessions.

Also be aware that starting a job doesn't necessitate weaning. The MOST successful breastfeeding moms I've known worked outside the home. They were NOT SAHMs!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009