Obama vs Lincoln ?

On July 17, 1858, Lincoln said, "What I would most desire would be the separation of the white and black races." On Sept. 18, 1858, in Charleston, Ill., he said: "I will to the very last stand by the law of this state, which forbids the marrying of white people with Negroes."

Lincoln was also a lifelong advocate of "colonization" or shipping all black people to Africa, Central America, Haiti--anywhere but here. "I cannot make it better known than it already is," he stated in a Dec. 1, 1862, Message to Congress, "that I strongly favor colonization." To Lincoln, blacks could be "equal," but not in the United States.

Does Obama have this in common with Lincoln?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If he does he must be into some strange form of self hate.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If so, which half of him would stay and which half would go?
    Anonymous

• lolol anon 6:43 hahaha
    Anonymous

• Interesting question. It does seem to me that Obama has a thing against whites, and we know for sure his minister, Jeremiah Wright is a raging Black supremist. I think it's great for him to want to elevate minorities, but not too keen on the whole socialism thing.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• This is about the only thing those two have in common:

Abraham Lincoln moved to Illinois when he was 21 years old. He lived in Illinois until he became President in 1861.
    Anonymous

• No, what Obama is supposed to have in common with Lincoln is the popularity to push through necessary law and to reach across the aisle. Personally, I feel that neither have anything in common and I don't buy into the Presidential hero theory. But I did vote for Obama, and per my Poli Sci info, would have voted for Lincoln.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Wow, I am impressed that someone posted the truth about Old Abe. Not many people even know this about him anymore. Abe also fought against the central banks and fiat currency, many suspect that was the reason behind his assassination. Anyway that is for another day. Obama and Lincoln have absolutely nothing in common.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 11:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Someone else thinks Obama has a agenda against white people.....Amazing.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Lincoln on Racial Equality:

I am not now, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social or political equality of the white and black races. I am not now nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor of intermarriages with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and the black races which will forever forbid the two races living together on social or political equality. There must be a position of superior and inferior, and I am in favor of assigning the superior position to the white man.

Lincoln in his speech to Charleston, Illinois, 1858

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009