my son is almost 6 weeks old and has a cough i tried to call the doctors afc to see what i can give him and the nurse never did call me back, my 5 yr old has a nebulizer do you think its ok to give him a breathing treatment for his cough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, I would not do it till you hear. He's so little, you don't know the dose or how much to use.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• idk much about nebulizers, but if i wer eyou i would try and call again. sometime the nurse forgets. one more call wont hurt. if you think it is really bad than go to an urgent care clinic.good luck
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 6:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Don't give him the other child's med. The dose could be harmful, or even the med might have different effects or harmful results at his age.

Answer by Bmat at 6:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No way - you don't want to mess around with that. just call again.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No it was calibrated with a 5 year old in mind, so it will deliver too much medicine for a baby. I would call the dr. again and again until I talked to someone.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 6:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No. Do not give a child that age anything without the advice of a doctor. Call them back!
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 7:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No, don't do it. At six weeks his body is so little, his metabolism is totally different, and I would be hesitant to put him on any meds, much less meds designed for another child. The natural alternative would be to put a few drops of eucalyptus essential oils in a pot of water and let it boil to humidify the air. That will help open up and moisturize the lung passages. Most likely his cough will just go away, anyway, without needing meds. If you're breastfeeding, that's the best medicine a tiny baby needs!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You're better off sitting in the bathroom and filling it up with steam and then putting a cool air vaporizer in his room while he sleeps.

It's very dangerous to give a baby another child's meds (as the other moms have already said).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No you should NOT give your baby a nebulizer. The dose for your 5 year old isn't the same for a little baby. Albuterol only helps for wheezing anyway and asthma type symptoms.
    If you are worried about your baby then call them back.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• yikes! no i wouldn't give your six week old, your 5 year old's meds...

try the hot shower steam, like a pp suggested, if that doesn't help... try standing in front of the open freezer... the cold air helps with some coughs
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009