2 questions. Drinking after others and Smoking inside?

Okay the other day we went to 1 of my dh friends house. Well they had a random child over there and she had a cough. Well the little girl offered my 2 yr old her drink and I politley told her that they're not aloud to drink after others. They mom was completely offended that I would say this and asked us to leave. Then when we got home my dh told me I was over reacting. Does any 1 else think I was over reacting? Do you let your kids drink after others?
2nd ?.. I don't smoke inside but I know people that do. They think I'm again "overreacting". Am I? Does anyone esle smoke inside? Or think it's wrong?

honeychick772

Asked by honeychick772 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think you're overreacting. You don't know this little girl and what if she was sick? The mom should've been offended if you just let your child drink out of her kid's cup in my opinion! As far as the smoking, I can't tell people how to live but i HATE when people smoke inside. Before I had children I used to and when I moved out I realized how bad it was. I don't smoke anymore and even when my parents smoke outside and leave the door open the smell bothers me. Plus it's unhealthy to have children inside a house where people are smoking.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i don't smoke inside, i smoke outside, and i don't smoke in my car even when the kids aren't in the house or car. the third hand smoke still sticks to things. and stinks.
    as far as drinking after others, i don't like for my daughter to do it and will stop her when i catch her. however she has shared cups w/her friends before when we mommies didn't notice (had her and my friends son in the car one day they are the same age, look in the rearview mirror and they are passing cups and half eaten cookies back and forth b/c they had diff cookie flavors and diff types of juice they were so proud to share :) it was funny but i told them to stop) so no don't think you overreacted if you just politely said they weren't allowed to share their drinks. if you snapped at the kids for doing it than yes i'd say it was an overreaction, kids do that sometimes and you just have to tell them no and go about your day
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think not drinking after other kids is a good policy (especially when this little girl was coughing you said?) and I know a lot of mom's who do it. That's really terrible that mom asked you to leave. Talk about overreacting!!! Sounds like she has some kind of complex or something. I agree smoking inside is disgusting (personally, I think smoking is disgusting, but what people do with their own bodies is their choice). But, yeah, smoking that exposes others to second-hand smoke is just wrong.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think you were perfectly within your rights to not allow her to drink after others. That's just common sense especially if the child had a cough. The other mother is obviously not educated. As for smoking inside, I am allergic to smoke. My throat closes up so I for one appreciate the courtesy you show towards others. You never know what you are doing to your child's health when you smoke around them. My mother almost killed me more than once smoking in the house and in the car. She thought I was just complaining and being a drama queen until I passed out! I couldn't breathe!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't think you are over reacting. I don't usually stop my kids from drinking after their friends, but I wouldn't get offended if another mom did. I would respect her wishes, and instruct my kids to keep their drinks to themselves.

As far as smoking in the house, even before hubby and I had kids, we never smoked in the house. It's just yucky! When I got pregnant, I quit smoking, but hubby didn't. He always smoked outside, and was never allowed to smoke in the car when the kids were with him. Thankfully he quit smoking too, almost a year ago, so we don't have to worry about it any more.

My parents smoked in the house during my entire childhood, and every year I wound up getting bronchitis. Not a pleasant thing to go thru as a child, and so I would never allow anyone to smoke in my house, or take my kids to someone's house if they smoked indoors.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No you are not over reacting. That mom needs to get a life and a thicker skin. She needs to grow up and not take everything so personally.
    Anonymous

• You did nothing wrong. My kids and I will drink after each other, as long as none of us are sick. My boyfriend and I will drink from the same cup, and I don't mind my kids and my parents drinking after each other, again as long as no one is sick. But I wouldn't let my kids drink after someone I don't know, or really even any of their friends. You don't know what kind of hygiene they have, if they are sick, etc., and I think the mom overreacted by asking you to leave.

As for the smoking, I don't smoke. But I don't allow smokers to smoke inside my house. My parents do smoke, and they don't even smoke inside their own home, b/c they know the smoke is bad for others. Also, I'm mildly allergic, so that also influences their decision. They do smoke in their vehicle, but if we are in the vehicle with them, they put the windows all the way down to keep as much smoke away from us as posible.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't let my children share cups with other children, ESPECIALLY not sick children. Frankly, I wouldn't invite anyone over to my house if my kids were sick either. Not cool. Your hostess and your husband are both wrong.

I also feel that no one that has children living with them should smoke inside. The smell, and the smoke get in your face, lungs, hair, furniture, carpet, curtains. Singles with no kids, it's their business, but it ruins your furniture and the paint.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you were over-acting at all,but,how did you say it,remember we are talking about a 2 yrs. old baby,I would have said, oh, no thank you,she had enough to drink today,.As,, far as smoking,I don't smoke,and I don't go in people homes who smoke,I have medical problems and I hate the smell too.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It's not wise to drink after other people. With all the germs and diseases going around. People should drink their own stuff anyway. The girl had a cough too so that is all the more reason to. If anything the other mom was overreacting for being upset over the rules you have for YOUR CHILD. It is your child not hers. You politely told her child the rules you have for your child. That lady was out of line. And smoking inside is a no no for me. It's not healthy either.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 9:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2009