Does god care about basketball?

So Dwight Howard declared about a month ago that god was going to help him and his team, the Orlando Magic, win the NBA Championships. Well, I'm sure you have all heard by now about their tragic loss. So what happened? Obviously Dwight Howard had faith, and had probably been praying and praying his little heart out. So did god fail him? Did he fail god in some way, and is that why they lost? Did the Lakers pray harder, or more often, winning more of god's favor? Does god even care about such trivialness that he would intervene in a basketball game? And if not, why even bother praying at all?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 6:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• well, God will not answer to prayers that are intended with selfish desires. So thats basiclly it.
    You can't just expect God to be like your magical genie... you wont get squat if your only praying to win this and to get that.. thats just how it is ..
    Anonymous

• Good questions. I find it irritating when people try to bring God into sports. Too trivial for God? I don't know.... I believe God helps us find keys and lost glasses sometimes, which may seem trivial. What irritates me is that sports are there for our entertainment, and there isn't really any value for one side winning over another. I know a lot of people disagree, but I think sports is pretty much a total waste. Just my opinion.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• When I was a kid, I went to a Lutheran school and played on the volleyball team. Every time we had a game we asked God to be with us. We never asked him to help us win because that was silly. The truth is, while WE are asking God to help OUR team win, the other team is asking as well. It's not about failing God. This is just one of those things that God can't/won't interfer with. The appropriate prayer is to ask God to be with the team and watch over the team and protect them from injury and to play their best.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Sure God cares about Basketball but His ways are not our ways and His thoughts not our thoughts. What people fail to see is that even tho the team lost.... they still walked in obedience in praying for a win. Its not about winning or losing but about obedience to the Most High. He sees the bigger picture. It would not do you or anyone good to blame the loss on God. He cares about the heart attitude as well. If you prayed to win for a reason , lets say to get money... that may not be a good thing. Any sport you play should be about having fun and growing in your talent not about money. Thats the only thing I believe God will not bless is because of the heart attitude of needed money. I may not be conveying this correctly. Yet I know God loves any sport but He STILL needs to be God of all. ( meaning do not make the sport your idol)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• funny this came up. The year KU won the championship it was so close and I could taste defeat and victory. After Chalmers made the 3 pt I went on my back porch and said an entire rosary in 5 minutes flat(have never done that before) my rosary did not give them the championship...but it didn't hurt ;-)
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 7:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think God had a better plan. It doesn't always have to be that someone failed. If they were really praying for a win, not just "saying" God would help them, but actually praying, then God has better things in store.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think it is great that he prayed that God would help him win. At the same time I don't think you can presume on God. A lot of times people think they can name it and claim it. And the purpose of prayer is to align our will to God's will, not to petition our genie. Sometimes people get confused.

The Bible says that when we ask anything "according to His will" we know we have it. When I pray and ask God for something He will answer me. Sometimes the answer is "yes," sometimes it is "no," sometimes it is "wait." If he feels God really told him He would help him win the NBA championships, maybe He meant later, LOL.

I wish they would have won! I live in Southern CA but I can't stand the Lakers.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Maybe God is a Lakers fan? lol
    Ok, seriously, I don't really think God wants to intervene every time we are about to lose. We all have to lose sometimes. If we didn't, how would we know how wonderful it is to win?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• LOL spiritguite and AMEN anon
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• This is part of the reason why I don't see God as a personified deity- because I can't visualize God 'picking sides' on things. Never mind basketball, look at wars where each side things that their cause is just, that God is on their side. This is why it makes more sense to me to view God as energy without human traits... not as a 'person' with an Oscar pick, a bet in the hockey pool, or so forth.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2009