My son is very shy. Any ideas to help him get over it?

I am very shy and I hate it. I don't want him to be like me. We do go to tons of playgroups.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe try letting him play with just one or two other kids until he is comfortable with that and then going from there. but at that age kids usually play alongside other kids not so much with other kids. around the age or 3-4 is when they start to play together.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• some kids are just shy. My husband is very shy-- I'm very outgoing. It was one of the qualities that drew me to him in that he was so different than any other guy I had dated, and he was genuine-- nothing braggadocious about him.

If it's debilitating, then I would seek the help of a child psychologist. They can figure out what triggers the shyness, and some therapies to help him cope.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't know that there's much you can do other than let him outgrow it. "Tons of playgroups" may not help if he isn't comfortable. Letting him build up to larger groups may be better. I was painfully shy as a child so I can' understand your concern. I didn't "outgrow" it until college... Try not to focus too much on it as that may just make things harder.
    Anonymous