An ultrasound showed Excessive skin at the nape of the neck that measures 7 in a 20 week fetus. Does that mean the baby has Downs Syndrome or could it be something else?

Neither my self or my husband families have anyone with downs Syndrome, and I have a two year old healthy girl and that is my second pregnancy. Does the neck thickening of a fetus always means that they have Downs Syndrome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No it does not always mean downs. And it might not be anything at all. Tests before the baby is born are never completely accurate. I have heard more stories then I can count about people who were told there children had this or that and were then born completely healthy. My moms doctor tried to force her to have an abortion when she was pregnant with my brother becuase they insisted he was downs. He is 22 now and it completely normal. He had adhd as a kid but it really wasn't that huge of a deal.... I wouldn't worry if I were you. Either way your child will be a blessing to you!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 7:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I found this link...it is about a 10 week fetus, but it's answered by a medical expert so....I think it will give you better info than I could. Good Luck!

http://www.drspock.com/faq/0,1511,9574,00.html
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 7:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am not a doctor but I do believe that it typically signals downs. But like everything during pregnancy, nothing is accurate except for an amnio.

I am having a nuchal translucency u/s done at 13 weeks as standard treatment at Kaiser to rule out Downs early on

But just to let you know... Downs is NOT heriditary and you do not need any other family members with it. It is caused by an extra chromosome
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It does not mean your baby has Downs Syndrome, that is just one warning sign doctors look for.
    Also, it is absolutely NOT hereditary, so it doesn't matter if you have no family members with it.
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 7:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009