Pregnant and VERY constapated...maybe TMI

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and I am always constapated! I may have a bowl movement maybe every 6 days. I've drank prune juice (YUCK), plum juice, I've done the stool softner, the enima (sp), I have increased my water intake, get pleanty of exercise (I have a 1 yr old, 3 yr old and a 5yr old! LOL) I eat pleanty of fruit and veggies, whole wheat bread when I eat bread.....what else can I do? I have a Dr appointment tomorrow but dont want to embarrass myself if I dont have to LOL Please Help!!

angieluv

Asked by angieluv at 7:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This is my second pregnancy and I have had unimaginable constipation. I never had it with my first. I took the Zofran as well and althought I don't take it anymore I still have bad problems. I am 29 weeks and taking stool softeners regularly as well as drinking coffee and it's not helping. I don't want to go into detail but having a bowel movement lately is as bad ad giving birth. A few nights ago I was on the toilet for 4 hours and pretty much had to dig it out. It was either that or I was going to the ER. I thought I was going to put myself into labor.
    Please talk to your doctor about it, don't be embarassed. They deal with much worse. Also, don't take enemas unless your dr tells you too, they can cause labor.
    Anonymous

• What kind of stool softener? When I was preg they prescribed (you can get it over the counter now) Colace...it worked very well.
    Anonymous

• You should never be embarrassed to ask your doctor about anything when it concerns your health. So, yeah, ask your doctor.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 7:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes, it is the Colace...I also forgot to mention that I do take Zofran for constant nausia, once a day. I know one of the side affects is constapation but I cant not take it.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 7:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• are you eating a lot of sweet? If so than try and cut them out as much as possible. Also, take flaxseed oil (you can add it into your yogurt, or salad dressing), And brewers yeast as well is good to add and even dandelion root suppliments. All these things help clear out your digestive track, which could cause constipation.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• maybe try mint tea thats what i used to give to my son and i used it myself it work we just boiled it and added a little sugar and really good!!
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 8:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I drank a cup of coffee in the morning and it worked right away. I know caffine is not great, but one cup won't hurt!
    Anonymous

• I've had the same problem, it was HORRIBLE thorugh both my first two pregnancies. Now I'm on my third and since I started drinking just 1 cup of coffee each day with about 1/2 c milk, I'm pretty regular. And they say up to 4 cups of coffee is usually ok. Coffee is a natrual stimulant. Works for me. Just be careful of any extra caffine you eat or drink the rest of the day (it'll keep you up all night and isn't so great for the baby in excess.) And def check w/your doc if you have any other issues before you do anything. :)
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2009