Does breastfeeding make you sleepy?

I nurse my 7 week old and I am so sleepy all the time. I just feel so exhausted. My baby sleeps okay thourgh the night so I think im getting enough sleep. Could it be from bf.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when i was in the hospital i asked the lactation consultant how i would know if he was actually getting milk and not just sucking at nothing, she said one of the things i would notice was a sudden tiredness. and that nursing would cause me to be a little more tired all the time
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• yes, ive bfeed for 6 mos now, and it still makes me tired. i just try to keep a cold drink to stay awake.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• ive been breastfeeding for 5mos and the tired feeling gets better trust me just try to rest more and make sure your eating and drinking enough :) it does get better though trust me just stick with it

good luck
    muppetsmom619

Answer by muppetsmom619 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes it can take a lot out of you. Just make sure you're eating enough calories everyday and drink plenty of water that should help. When you're breast feeding you should be eating DOUBLE the calories that you normally would be.
    Anonymous

• It gets better..... it does! Make sure you drink plenty of water and even a little snack while you nurse.... I used to drink a glass of milk with a sandwich, usually peanut butter. Producing milk takes a lot of energy. I t really made me tired because it was so relaxing, just me and the baby, in a comfy chair, and warm room.... Oh my goodness we had so many great naps! It is normal and natural! It gets better!!! Happy napping..... The Motherhood store in my mall was one of our favourite spots!!
    Tashia07

Answer by Tashia07 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Oh yes I'm so tired and my daughter sleeps around 10 hours every night! I don't say that around other moms because they just give me dirty looks lol. But bfing does take alot, just be sure to get lootttss of fluid. Lots of milk, too!
    I like to nurse my daughter lying on the couch, so I can get a little power nap for the 20mins it takes her to eat.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• the hormones released during feeding also work to relax both of you (they calm baby too!).
    this is completely normal, its just the bodys way of protecting new mothers from exhaustion.
    mother nature is ensuring that you sit down and have a break :)
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 9:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Was going to say that exact thing Katiemum. The hormones that help with let down also make you a little sleepy. I think once bfding is established for several months, it should get better. However, DS is 9 months and I still get a little sleepy from nursing:)
    MamaBuma

Answer by MamaBuma at 9:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No, I don't think so, but I'm tired all the time so who knows. I've been doing it for about 3.5 mos now. One of the things I do love though, is when I get home from work and can lay down and nap while my DD is nursing. She sorta naps too while she's eating. I find it relaxing, but not tiring.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2009