I need help choosing vegetarian meals for my son.

We are not a vegetarian family, but my son is vegetarian by choice. He is only 3 1/2. I am trying to figure out what to feed him as a well-rounded diet. He eats eggs and dairy, so I guess he's an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I've tried many, many times to give him meat and he literally gags. I recently forced him to take a very, very small bite of chicken and he just let it sit in his mouth for nearly a half hour. I just can't try to force him to eat meat anymore. So, I need help with his diet. Any ideas of a cookbook or a kid-friendly website for recipes?

oregonmom22

Asked by oregonmom22 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Unless I'm mistaken, the soy is a protein replacement. You can get protein from beans, eggs, and nuts. Can you get creative with those items?

I don't care for tomato sauce, I usually top pasta (for myself) with Olive Oil and parmesan cheese. That might help you work some pasta back into his menu (because pasta is always a quick, easy side dish, I serve a vegetarian pasta dinner about twice a week).

Looks like they have some good kid vegetarian recipes here: http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/recipes-kids.html

Here's 2 more websites: http://kids-cooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/vegetarian_recipes_for_kids

http://vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes.htm

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Boca Burgers, crumbles and vege lasagna in your freezer section
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 8:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• cheese raviolis in a creamy sauce.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I forgot to mention he is allergic to soy products and doesn't like anything tomato based. This is what is making it so hard to find meals. I usually give him eggs or cereal for breakfast, fruit and cheese for a snack, cream cheese and crackers and raisins for lunch, and pretzels and yogurt for dinner. He will eat orzo cooked in broth, but that is about it. Most vegetarian meals have soy products in them and that is why I'm at such a loss. Is there another good protein substitute for soy products? What about a good soy-less protein bar for kids?
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I was thinking this sauce for the ravioli. It is also good on vegtable stir fry, with water chest nuts and baby corns.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You would be surprised at all the places you can find protein.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/good-protein-sources

Have you joined any of the vegan/vegitarian groups? they have lots of good recipies.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• There was an amazing summer chili (made with squashes, etc) that was SO yummy, everyone in my family devoured it. It's served with polenta. (Or cornbread, if you like.) I will try to locate it for you!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Why do you let such a young child dictate what he eats? Humans need MEAT. Make the kid eat meat, for goodness sake!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks for the helpful links DawnA72. I got some great ideas there. Also, whoever wrote the last link you obviously haven't walked a mile in my shoes as I have tried for over 2 years to get my child to eat meat. This includes some severe measures which I am not proud of trying. I have stopped and I am now looking for better ways to work with his obvious choice of being a vegetarian. This would not have been my first choice as it definitely makes meal preparation more work for me since the rest of us DO eat meat. Your comment strikes me as being unnecessarily antagonistic.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2009