To douche or not to douche?

My 19 year old daughter said her boyfriends mom told her she should douche often,she took this as an insult."Is she saying I stink?!" I have done it before,but I was told by a doctor that a woman really doesn't need to,our bodies clean themselves out most of the time.So should I tell her it is ok to douche once in awhile,or not at all?

momz1970

Asked by momz1970 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

• like the other women said, it isn't necessary, but if it makes her feel more comfortable. she can do it once a month or once every couple of months. I usually do it once a month right after I have my period, just b/c it makes me feel more clean. if you do it too often, it can cause infections, b/c like the other women said it messes with your natural pH balance && gets rid of the good bacteria.

but why in the world would her b/f's mother feel that it's her place to say that to your daughter? I think I would have put her right back in her place...lol.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have been told by several gynecologists that it is not necessary and actually can mess up your natural ph balance and cause more problems.

Women several years back thought they HAD to douch.

I think its a strange thing for her bf mother to say to her at all.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Douching kills off good bacteria, pushes bad ones into the urinary tract and isn't necessary.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• that is odd for her bf's mom to say to her, unless they are just an open family that talks alot maybe she thought she was giving advice. i've been told its not necessary as well, and that it can mess up balance of ph etc...however i was also told that doing it on occasion (maybe once a month or less) wouldn't be harmful.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I never douche. I was also told by my gyn. that douching washes away the good bacteria that helps prevent infections. so it is best not to.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Not at all our bodies clean themselves out and i have spoke with a couple different people in the profession and they have all said DON'T DOUCHE EVER.

Also tell your DD BF mom to shut it : )

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009