Birth control?

My daughter is 15 and has recently told me she had sex a few weeks ago, so before she turned 15. I don't want her ending up pregnant, I did at age 15, I really don't want that happening. But I'm not to sure about the pill either! What are the side effects? And is it really safe to put her on birth control? What would you do?

lauren1424

Asked by lauren1424 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• well first i'd be happy that she told you and isn't trying to keep it a secret.
    next, it is safe to put her on BC take her to the gyno have an exam done if she hasn't already, they are supposed to have their first when they become sexually active or when they get their first period. have the doc talk to her about the diff types of BC and give you both information, then go home and discuss what kind she would prefer. some people don't like to take a pill everyday so there may be another form of BC she wants to go with. but i would absolutely get her on some form of BC, and remind her that it won't prevent an STD so she still needs to make sure he uses a condom at that age you never know about monogamy so even if she knows for sure he's been tested it doesn't mean he'll be faithful
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I was always very open with both my kids (son & daughter). Condoms were always available. Not that I am 100% pro-abortion, but a pregnancy is easier to get rid of than a disease, and of all the birth control options out there, I felt a condom would minimise the chances of disease. I don't feel at 15 that a child is fully grown/developed. I didn't want to affect her body in any way by giving her hormones/chemicals.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Every pill has different side effects. I would take her in and talk to the OB about what would be best for her. They'd probably put her on something low-dose. I would put her on, it is safe. One of my best friends was taking it at that age, for different reasons though she had cysts and they put her on that to try to make it better or something like that.

If any of my daughters told me they were sexually active at that age, I WOULD put them on the pill. You can't stop them from having sex. Plus, being on the pill is better than not because then it would at least prevent pregnancy. Yeah, it's not 100% but it will help out. Good luck!
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yes, it is safe for her to be on the pill. That's great that she can be that open with you. I have to say i wish the IUD MIRENA teens could get. You lose the interest in sex and it's would be a wonderful birth control for them but it's not possible so i would look into getting her on the pill or the patch would be good also. Then she can just worry about her birth control once a week. if you do get her on the pill make sure she takes it at the same time everyday. Make sure she also uses condoms also.

Anonymous

• Yes take her to get the pill because she has already had sex and now she will want it more...
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 9:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I started the pill when i was 14. But the best thing you can do is talk to a doctor about it. They can tell you all the side effects of each one and put her on a pill that would be good for her. Just going in and talking to the doctor dosnt hurt and it dosnt mean that she is going to be on something right away. You can take time after talking to the doctor and look into the pills that they told you about and decide from there. But its better to get her on some type of birth control then have her get pregnant. Good luck and i hope everything works out well
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• You should be proud that your daughter was comfortable enough with you to have this discussion with you. Make sure that she and her partner have discussed what they will do if their birth control fails.
    Have you had her tested for STDs? Has she had Gardasil? Have you had the banana and condom talk with her? Let the decision of what form of contraception to use be between her and her doctor gynecologist; she may or may not want you to be part of this conversation.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ask her how she feels about being on the pill, I know that if I had been on it then I wouldnt be in the situation I am in now, 16 years old and 33 weeks pregnant, and also just be thankful that she is sharing this with you, I was far too ashamed to share w my mother until it was all too late, she wants your help, so help her.. and gettin her on some form of birth control would be a great help!
    TayMicGab

Answer by TayMicGab at 5:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Definitely be glad that she's coming to you. Better to find out now than after a pregnancy test. I would personally suggest Depo Provera for teen birth control, it's easy and there is no forgetting about it if you can remember a doctor's appointment every 3 months for a shot. However, I'll echo another poster and say that, ultimately, it is between her and her doctor which method she chooses. I would also talk to her about having a condom available, even if she is in a monogamous relationship. Things happen, and change, especially as a teen. Besides, chances are the one in her purse will be fresher and safer than the one his best friend or older brother told him to keep in his back pocket ;)

Good luck, and stay calm! It sounds like your daughter is on the right track coming to you, even if she is young.
    MrsQriist

Answer by MrsQriist at 9:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2009