My 21 month old will not fall asleep in her crib..P&P only.. HELP!!

For about the last 5 months our daughter will not fall asleep in her crib. We try to keep the same routine - bath, brush teeth, bottle (yes she refuses to give it up at night and paci) and book, then WWIII breaks out. We tried the screaming/crying method but my husband went ballistic when she threw-up, now she only falls asleep in her pack & play then we carry her to her crib and she sleep through the night. I don't know what to do.

rita8249

Asked by rita8249 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• idk what to say, my two slept in pack n plays until they were 18 months, and then got a twin mattress.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Just keeping doing it that way untill she develops a new habit. Unfortunatly for us parents sometimes we have to do things their way. Good Luck! :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We had a similar problem with our son althought admittedly it didn't last that long. We weren't in to the "cry it out" method. We use to just sit in the room until he fell asleep. Each night we'd go through the regular routine then try to leave the room. We'd let him fuss for a bit (5 minutes or so) and go back in if he didn't settle. We didn't interact with him at all, just sat there. (I bought a book light and just read.) I didn't do anything more than stop him from doing something dangerous like running laps in his crib. Eventually he'd get bored and go to sleep. Gradually we moved closer to the door until eventually I'd sit in the hall. One night we did the normal routine, walked out, and he just didn't protest anymore. Note: We have gone through a couple of periods when he did this and each one started and stopped just as quickly. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I completely disagree w/ Love2BMommy. YOU are the parents. YOU are in charge. I have no real advice for you if you don't want to let her CIO, but get rid of the bottle.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Put her in a big girl bed. My DD was ready at 16 mo for one & she loves it. It most likely is time to try that route w/ ur daughter. I'm not saying that it will solve the going to bed screams but it might. Remember ur DD is still young & she dosent want to miss out on anything so she thinks by going to bed shes going to be missing out on all the fun. Just got to have patience w/ her. If u need some tips on how to do the big girl bed thing just hit me up & I'll tell u what I did w/ my DD that worked for us :) good luck
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yeah..the one who says to just keep doing what you are doing is wrong. Your daughter is trying to tell you that it is time for a change. I just recently in the past week realized it was time for a bed trasition. I moved my 16 month son from a crib to a bed and he is doing astoundingly great!!! For about a weeks, out of nowhere, he just started to refuse to sleep in his crib. Crying for hours on end, and the only way he would sleep is in our bed. Your daughter is wanting the restaints of the bars gone. I know that when you think of getting them their first bed, you think about them getting up in the middle of the night, and not sleeping at all, or getting into stuff, it makes you not want to do it, but im telling you that if you do, she will start sleeping peacefully. The first 3 days, i had to lay in there until he fell asleep, but now in just a week he falls asleep on his own. Its alot easier than you think =)
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 9:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Oh, and by the way...my son is still on the paci too. Im not sure what other moms are telling you, but dont try to get off of too many things at once. She will flip out..lol. I took my son off the bottle at 13 months, then put him in his own bed at 16 months,, and my son isnt ready to give up his paci yet. It is his comfort...and i dont want to take that away from him yet...just thought id give you my opinion...=)
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 9:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm sorry I stopped reading after I read -->(yes she refuses to give it up at night and paci)<---- ...please remember you are her parents!! I'm not critizing you just helping you out xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009