How much tv does your toddler watch?

Before I got pregnant I swore that I would never let my children watch tv before the age of five. Even then I wanted to control how much time and what he watched in front of the tube. As with other realities of motherhood I have given in to allowing my 18 month old to watch NOggin. He is already in love with "Dora the Explorer, The Backyardigans, and The Wonder Pets." These are a few shows he watches. At first I thought it was adorable that he was able to laugh and articulate what the characters were saying. Now I am worried because when he is in the family room he will cry and ask for "Noggin." One word. I make it a priority to turn off the tube during the afternoon from 10 till 4pm. During this time he is playing, looking at board books or I am going over flashcards with him. Do you let your little one watch tv and how much? Thanks!

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 3 yr old watches Noggin and PBS most of the time. I think its pretty educational in addition to what I teach him. He is going to be good and ready for headstart in August. My 8 yr old is either reading, listening to her music or on the computer. She mostly watches iCarly, Drake and Josh, and Hannah Montana when it comes on. If a good movie comes on the Disney Channel she'll watch that too.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I was the same as u swore I would not let my DD watch tv but once she got old enough to be interested I let her have it. She is 17 mo & watchs no more then 2 hours worth on any given day. Most days its only 1 hour or so of tv. Although the tv often times is on in the background but not on cartoons. Usually we wake up & I put on Playhouse Disney while I do her breakfast. Sometimes when she is being really irritating while I'm trying to make a meal or sometimes before bed I'll pop in her Little Einsteins DVD for her to watch but only once or at most twice a week. Other then that we are outside playing, reading books, or not at home :) I think ur doing just fine & if ur not then I guess I'm not either b/c it sounds like my DD watches the same amount as urs does!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I recently asked that same question. But, I was the same way. My toddler doesnt care to watch TV, but if i put it on then he will sit for a few mintutes and watch. I let him watch Dora, Backyardagains, and spongebob, but he doesnt watchthem long before he is off to do something else...lol. The only thing he will watch is some movies. He watched alot of MAdagascar, and shark tale. But he only does that in the morning when he wakes up. He will lay with me and watch it.
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 9:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am pregnant and I'm having a really hard time with this pregnancy. I need some extra time in the morning to get started and I let her watch a 40 minute Barbie movie or usually a taped Sesame Street, Leap Frog Letter Factory, or Baby Mozart. I still don't like it, but my mother and mil let have the tv on constantly and she's right up in the screen. So she gets maybe 4hrs a week..
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Nope, our 2 year old has never watched tv. We decided before he was born that we weren't going to introduce tv until he was 2...now that he's 2, I think we're going to hold off until he's 6 or so. There are several reasons, but keeping him away from advertisements and marketing that target children is one major reason we're keeping the tv off for a few more years.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 10:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i hav to say tht i lose trak of how long my son watches tv bcause im so busy with my newborn but i try so hard to giv him somthng else to occupy his mind (he lovs coloring) but i thnk hes watchn too much tv. he used to only want to watch cars, but im tryn to get him down to just two hours or just four episodes a day.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm in the same boat as to where your coming from...before you had kids you SWORE they wouldn't watch tv! ...All the kids that never could watch tv when we were growing up were complete genisus! ...but also completely WEIRD haha I'm sorry that's not to offend anyone! ...but usually she'll watch an hr a day...I try my hardest to do days where there is no tv...and now that it's summer time hopefully her tv time will go down!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My 18 month old watches about 1-2 hours a day. She loves Wubzzy, Backyardiagans, Little Einstiens, and Handy Many. I used to say my kids would never watch tv that young but.......ya know.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i wont lie she watches wayyyyyyy toooooo muchhh!!! im 17 and a armywife and i have alot going roght now i can honestl sa the tv is on 24/7 a days!!!! but dont just sit and watch she is almost 2 so um yeah thats not even possible...lol but i would say as far as if i had to give a time i would sayyy about.............. 5 hours aday honestl bc its always on! this is just thro the day and nap time and suck its always on im not perfect eh oh judge me if you want!!
    ARMYWIFEHILL

Answer by ARMYWIFEHILL at 8:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i also swore i wouldn't let my baby watch tv till she was two. she's two now and she's been watchign tv for god knoww how long. it's usually just noggin though and it's very educational. she comes to me saying things she learned from the shows. Now im pregnant and working full time. my husband is a stay at home dad for now and he has his own daughter which is 4. iwill leave the house with the tv o and come back with itstill on! so i know they are watching it all day but of course they would play outside and with each other throughout the day. even with me around because im extra tired because of the pregnancy, im also guilty of having my two yr old infront the tv tooo long just to get things done in the house
    lanababy1x

Answer by lanababy1x at 10:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009