what do you consider a "criminal"?

please don't judge, but I've had 2 DUI's in my life, do you consider me a criminal? would it be used against me for a work at home job if they do a criminal background check? If you've had a DUI (or other crime) has it caused your resume/application to be rejected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, a criminal is someone who's been convicted of a crime. I too have a DUI that I was convicted of, making me a criminal. I've found honesty is the best policy, I was able to get an amazing job nonetheless.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I agree with first poster, I would call myself a criminal as I have broken a few laws more than once. And some I even break every day of my life! I have no problems with being called things I actually am!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I ask because I sent my resume to a company, hiring for wah debt collectors and they require a background criminal check...i'm just really nervous. many have said they will most likely look for felony charges, especially relating to the line of work i would be doing, but I am still nervous. I just hate knowing they are in my record, since I am clean now. but I've learned to stop the coulda should woulda attitude...but still...this is a job I'd like to get!! I'm a sahm mom now and would still have that opportunity if i get this line of work
    Anonymous

• Yes, i would consider you and anyone else who decides to drink and drive a criminal. And yes, i would definitely weigh that in during the hiring process.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• As an HR director I would not hire someone with 2 DUI's I might consider someone who had one mistake and learned their lesson but not twice. I think most companies are the same way. I do consider you a criminal because honey you are a criminal. I'm not judging you as a person. I just wish you'd get your life together before you get in your car drunk and kill one our babies or your own.
    Anonymous

• Whatever you do, do not lie on your application. If they ask if you've ever been charged with a felony, you can say no (if they were only misdemeanor DUI's) but if they ask if you've ever been charged with a misdemeanor and you have, respond yes and there is usually a space below to elaborate. You'd be surprised, most employers are pretty understanding.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• yes I got my life together after the first one. I lost contact with the bad crowd fast. I couldnt imagine being that stupid nowadays. I emailed them my resume. I reckon if it looks good, they will do a background check and if it comes "clean" I guess I got the job....
    Anonymous

• wow I meant after the second one lol obviously not the first one....I didnt exactly plan to have 2 dui'd...I was young and stupid....
    Anonymous

• I hadn't thought about it until you asked. But no, I don't guess I would consider you a "criminal". It seems in my mind, I seem to apply that term to a person who lacks character, honesty, morals, social integrity or responsibility AND who commits crimes - either out of pure meanness or selfishness. Sort of like a punk who robs because he's too lazy to work.

I guess a couple of DUIs makes you the last one I'd give my keys to on a girls night out and the first one I'd offer a ride to. No offense. But it doesn't ring true to my subconscious idea of a criminal.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• The punishment the judge gives you pretty much makes it hard to get another DUI, if you actually go to the classes and not drive and pay all of your fines. I actually don't mind not driving in a weird way. Then again, we get $50 a month at my company to go green (take the bus, walk, bike).
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009