One breast is trying to shut down........

My daughter refuses to eat off the right side. I pump when I can but it oesn't seem to be enough to keep it going. It is half the size of the other one and getting less than one ounce out of it at a time. It is also a yellow color. What can I do to get it jump started again? Atleast to even the size out...hahaha

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • The only thing I can suggest is getting your babe to eat onn that side as much as possible. Always offer that breast first. Maybe try pumping on that side while your daughter is nursing. My LC also said to increase supply, in the evenings while you are watching tv or reading or whatever you do, try pumping for 2-3 minutes every 10 minutes or so. Doesn't matter if you don't get anything out, just the stimulation is supposed to help. If you are supplementing, start pumping to increase the supple and gradually wean babe off of the supplement. Good luck!!

If it helps at all, my right breast produces about 1/2 of what my left breast produces. My breasts have always been a little uneven, but now it is really obvious. Used to care, but now not so much:)
    MamaBuma

Answer by MamaBuma at 9:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Oh, and if you can, try calling LLL or a LC. They can be great resources for things like this.
    MamaBuma

Answer by MamaBuma at 9:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I used to hold my baby in a different position when he/she started to favor a certain side. I would use the "Football" position. Of course, I did offer the breast that was not favored FIRST. If he/she still refused, I changed positions and usually that helped.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I went threw the same thing, i wasnt successful in "fixing" it, my daughter is now 1, and at about 10mnths she completly stopped nursing on the left side and only would nurse on the right, im still awkward sizes, but shes almost done nursing now, and i just hope that the right one will go back to normal eventually and i wont look like such a una-boob. good luck!
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 10:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2009