Any weaning tips

I have breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-pacifer sucking , and teething 14 month old son that I would really like to wean. He only wants to nurse when it is time for bed. But I need some tips on how to really break him of the habit. And a peaceful transition into his own bed too, but the weaning is my #1 priority right now

Tashia07

Asked by Tashia07 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let me clarify really quick before offering any info. You said the only time he nurses is before bed? As in, that is the absolute only time he nurses at all, or it's the only consistent time?

In general, I think Dr. Jay Gordon has excellent advice for breastfeeding and cosleeping parents. I would pick one thing to work on - weaning or transitioning to bed. Too much change is tough on toddlers!

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Have you tried offering a bottle while he is curled up on your lap instead? Like re-inacting it exactly the same but with the bottle instead of the breast? If you have and that didnt work, maybe you could have daddy or someone else try a bed time routine with a bottle. As for transitioning him to sleep in his own bed...I always let my LO fall asleep with me then I move her to her crib. She used to co-sleep with me as well. If she wakes at night crying I let her sleep the rest of the night with me. Thats not more than like once a week now, sometimes less than that. Sometimes during teething or if she dosnt feel well its a few times a week. I would reccomend the weaning first, then establish teeth brushing after bottle, then work on the sleeping arrangments.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thank you both for your responses.... he never took a bottle.... I guess I introduced it too late. He is a comfort nurser and whenever he is sleepy he wants to nurse. It is gradually decreasing... i keep him full and a cup of juice, water, or milk ready for whenever he starts getting fussy. I wish I had someone to hand him off to for bedtime but we are on or own at night. I'll just be patient! Thanks again!
    Tashia07

Answer by Tashia07 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2009