Who's afraid of the dentist?

And are there any suggestions for working through it?

kryssie78

Asked by kryssie78 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

• I am .. and if there is I havn't found it
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 9:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am not scared of much of the Dentist scares me to the point I shake. You can get them to prescribe you a Valium before you go in.
    Around where we live there is a Dentist who has it set up like a day spa. You can actually get a massage before and after or before or after. The office looks like a spa. The outside is a log cabin look, the inside has warm wood interior with stone walls with fountains, fireplaces and aquariums in all of the exam rooms.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't like the dentist I usually go when I hurt and I know how bad that is
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• stick out tongue miniMe...Me....Me.... I am the biggest baby at the dentist.. I can not even stand the smell of the place.. Hey where is that spa dentist place.....that is where I want to go!!

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm not afraid so much as I don't want to be treated like a lab rat. I have a rare hereditary condition (like 1 out of 8000). The last time I went I think everyone in the office came in to see for themselves. And I quote "This is so rare. We only get to see pictures in a book. I've never seen this before." I haven't gone back since.
    But now I have 2 kids with the condition and I'm dreading taking them to their first appt.
    Anonymous

• I'm freaking out, not only do I have teeth that need work done to them pronto, I have to get my kids in to see someone. Just the sounds make the blood leave my face and I don't want my kiddo's to be terrified just because I am.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am. My palms sweat profusely, I shake and I always make sure I tell the dentist. But I found a good one who uses a particular techique when giving shots and you don't even feel it. Then if you have even a twinge of pain... he'll pump extra meds to make sure you're comfortable. He actually got visibly upset and shaken once when he was doing a root canal on my and I twinged and shrugged really hard cuz he hit a nerve. He must have sat there for 3 minutes rubbing the back of my hand and asking over and over if I was okay.

I guess it gets better when you find a dentist that does care about his patients. Until then, call ahead and ask for a Valium or something to relax you before you get there. Some dentist will do that for you.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am I am!!!!!! I haven't been to the dentist in 13, almost 14 years. I HATE the dentist. I need to go but have no dental insurance that covers the dentist that scaredy cats go to. When I have money I will go to her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I need SO much work, it is overwhelming. I am not only terrified of the dentist but also of the bill. No insurance :(
    KatieB5

Answer by KatieB5 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2010