Chinese Adoption

My husband and I have been trying to convieve for two years now and haven't had any luck...finally after months of praying and waiting we have decided to try international adopting in China. Does anyone have expierience in Chinese adoption agencies? Any advice? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your help.

AnsleyClaire

Asked by AnsleyClaire at 9:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• We adopted from China, but it was right before the wait got to be so long. We also did a special needs adoption of an "older" child (she was three in the photolisting, four when she got home). It took about 13 months from seeing her online, to getting our homestudy complete, USCIS approval, CCAA approval and finally our invitation for travel. It is an amazing and wonderful journey with lots of hurry up and waits. We used AAC out of Colorado.
    Anonymous

• I have heard wonderful things about Wide Horizons for Children, America World Adoption Association, and Alliance for Children. You can google any of those to get more info on their websites. We seriously considered these before deciding on private domestic adoption. Best of luck to you.
    KateKevinAdopt

Answer by KateKevinAdopt at 11:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We just returned from China with our daughter, in April. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• A few years ago I would have said " Whoo Hoo!!! Congrats on your decision"... now, I say- are you prepared to wait up to 5-8 years for a referral if you do not go the SN route?
    In 2005 the wait went from 6 months to 8 months for a referral in one month. Then, it went to 10-12-17 months. It took us 17 months to receive our referral. Now, the wait is over 3 years for a NSN referral. Everyone waits in the same line, unless you are of Chinese descent or in the SN queue.
    We used Bethany Christian Services and loved them.
    Keep in mind that a lot of agencies are no longer accepting clients for the China program. Also, if an agency is NOT upfront about the wait, you need to run- quickly. They should tell you that the wait is 39 months and continuing to grow. The last batch of referrals were from 3/8/06-3/14/06.
    China deems children 0-2 as infants and kids "age out" typically at around 13 at which point they are put out of the SWI.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Continued...
    Once your dossier is sent to China ( DTC-dossier to China) it will then be logged in(LID) to the CCAA(China Center of Adoption Affairs). That is the governing body in charge of ALL adoptions in China... domestic, foster care, all the orphanages and IA. All efforts have to be made for the child to be adopted domestically before they are released for IA as per Hague. ( only 3% of all the kids in SWI's are available for adoption to begin with)
    Ugh... there is so much information regarding Chinese adoption. Please let me know if you have any questions. My dd is 3.5 years old and came home at 17 months. She is from Maoming City in the Guangdong Province. (south China)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Special needs is a great route to go. Many of the things that make the children "special needs" are so minor.
    Anonymous