What is the best flea treatment to use for cats and dogs?

I have been using some that I bought at Walmart and it is NOT working. I guess I'll just have to spend the money and get one that really works! What has worked best for you?

DayDaysmom19

Asked by DayDaysmom19 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pets

• We use Revolution on our cat and it works wonders. We have to get it at the Vets and it cost about 17 dallors and last a month. These months right now are the worse. other times in the year it seems to last longer than a month.. as for my dog we are still looking for somthing . he gose out side a few hours a day and plays so it's hard to keep him free of them totatly like the house cat
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 9:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Yeah, that stuff never worked for me. I usually buy the frontline advance on ebay.
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 9:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I use Frontline Plus during the summer months when the ticks are out. All year they get Sentinel as their heartworm preventative and it has a flea "birth control" in it. It doesn't kill adult fleas but they can't reproduce. I only see a flea on them about once every month or two.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would say Frontline or Revolution. If you don't have small children or cats, even K9 Advantix (the there ain't no bugs on me comercial). Frontline and Advantage (Not advantix) can be bought a PetsMart or PetCo. Revolution and the K9 Advantix have to be bought from a pet. They are also a new pill out (interceptor I believe) that works the same as the topical stuff, but it's a beef flavor chew.
    The OTC flea control never works, and ends up causing more problems than anything else. The garlic thing is also an old wives tale. Fleas live on the skin, and feed from there. Dogs don't have pores like we do, so the garlic is digested rather than evaporated through the pores. Flea collars only work if the fleas live around the animals neck. LOL
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• advantage is by far the best one you can get..it kills fleas on contact. thats all i ever use, and have never seen any fleas, and i have 3 dogs who like to roll around in dirt
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have never had a problem with Frontline. Sometimes when I can't afford Frontline I use Sergeant's Sentry Pro squeeze on. It has close to the same ingredients as the ever dangerous Bio Spot but my dogs have never had an issue with it. After I apply all flea and tick stuff I watch my dogs for 12 hours to make sure they dont have any issues and that they don't "groom" each other.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i use stuff thats high in pyrethin..thats the chemical that kills fleas....last year i used stuff from raid that could be used on pets,carpets and furniture...i found it at the dollar store...for flea soap i used hertz..frontline is to exspenzive for me.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks everyone. Looks like I should try Frontline or Advantage!
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Hi - I use all natural powder or critter oil sprays:

I won't use the Frontline and others because they are poison..

see here for D.Earth natural powder : ( diatomaceous Earth)

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/fleas-Diatomaceous-Earth-canine.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 5:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009